Close X


Hear It From Harry

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing Diary Entry 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  

Lazy Saturday

June 6th 2009 5:28 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 6 people already have ]

*yawn* It's a warm, quiet Saturday.
I have received several inquiries on how I am doing. First, let me apologize for not writing an update sooner. That was rude of me. :(
Next, let me thank you all for the purrs and rosettes and gifts. I am going to begin my thank you's soon, that's a pawmouse.

Now, about me. Well, I visited the vet on Thursday evening. I have gained weight, going from 7.7 pounds, to 8.4! I am off the pain meds, and I am eating and drinking on my own.
I don't much like the K/D diet food, so momma sprinkles some kitty tuna on top, and if I eat all the food, I get another spoon of the tuna, as dessert. :)

I am feeling pretty chipper, purring and meowing a lot. The other night, while I was in my big cage, a June bug was flying around. I followed him with interest, as he flew. Then he flew into my cage. *snap* I caught him! Me, the cat with the bad jaw! Not bad huh?!!

So everything is looking good here.

We haven't been on-line much. Mom caught a summer cold, and has been hoarse and coughing a lot. Lizzy (the dog) had a birthday (her 10th) on the fourth, and we forgot her again! Poor doggie, that's two years in a row. A dog she has never met, named Sharna sent her 5 zealies as a gift, so mom bought her a B-B-Q pit rosette with them!

Everyone else is doing fine. Stinky had a bad bout with his asthma, on Wednesday, but on Thursday the vet said mom could increase his medication for that day, when that happens. He is feeling better now that it's sunny and not humid.

Thanks again for keeping me and my family in your thoughts, and in your hearts. We hold each of you there, as well.

Love, bonks, and purrs,


Great News!

May 29th 2009 5:33 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 12 people already have ]

I just got back from my vet appointment, and mom & dad and I are doing the happy dance!

The vet was so pleased with my progress that he said he now gives me a 75% chance of survival, when last Friday it was only 25%!!!
I am to continue getting the electrolyte fluids, and pain meds, and I get to eat whatever I will eat. He said at this point, that calories were the important thing, and that if I wouldn't eat my prescription food, then I could have regular cat food. I had only lost a tiny bit of weight, going from 7.8 to 7.7 pounds. I should weigh at least ten pounds, so I have a ways to go.

He also said my jaws were lined up fine, and in time, I would learn to eat normally. Without extensive tests, he thinks that the kidney disease caused de-calcification of the jaw bone, it leaches calcium out, and weakens the bones. If we can stop and reverse the kidney disease, we may fix that. He does not think I have bone cancer. (yay!)
The "growth" in my sinus cavity is a non-issue right now. Mom was instructed to watch for any nasal discharge, and so far there has been none. I breathe normally too. I didn't have any temperature, and I let the vet handle my mouth, when last week I freaked out if he touched it. He kept smiling and shaking his head, and he said "Harry, you dodged another bullet". I thought, bullet? I always thought the shots came from needles.

So that's about it. Pretty good, eh?

Oh, one more thing...for some reason, mom can't view the comments on my last couple diary entries. She says she will write Catster and ask why, but if I don't answer, that's the reason.

Love you all for purring me to better health.

Happy Harry


All Systems GO!

May 29th 2009 12:05 am
[ Leave A Comment | 5 people already have ]

I made a poopie!

Mom was getting concerned, it had been four days...but hey, all I've had are liquids.
Tonight when she changed my litter...there was the big event!
Well. not too big, but a nice solid little present!
Okay Diary Girl, I wrote about poop. Will you pick me? :)

That's all I've got to write tonight. Talk about momma is.

Night all~
Love, Harry

P.S. My vet appointment is for 5:30 pm Friday. Please purr I make the vet happy too!


No Better, No Worse

May 27th 2009 5:16 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 5 people already have ]

Hello my friends~

I don't have very much to report today. I am about the same. I am resting quietly in Lizzy's big dog kennel. Mom washed my cat bed today, and changed my litter. She was concerned that I haven't made any poo in days. She called the vet about it, but the assistant called back, and didn't think it was a problem since I had eaten so little.
I was picky this morning. I just looked at the watery food, and went and laid down. It was thundering and raining, and I don't much like that loud noise. Later, I went back and lapped up about half my breakfast.
I have to go back to the vet at the end of the week. He will access my progress, and re-check my kidney's. I am hoping I will have improved by then.
This has been a rather boring diary...maybe I should end it with a story...

When I was a tiny kitten, something happened to my momma cat. I was only a newborn, and an old man found me, along with my sister and brother. He brought us all to my vets to be put to sleep. A kind assistant said, no,no, and she and her mother bottle feed us all. My name then was "Dewey". I'm not sure how I got the name "Harry". My current momma was actually looking at my sister, a cute tortiseshell, when we first locked eyes. I have been hers every since. She wished she had a camera then, because I was the cutest little tabby boy.
Anyway, when I was still tiny, I disappeared in the house. Mom looked everywhere. She started to panic, thinking I might have slipped outside somehow. You know where she finally found me? In the dishwasher, under the bottom rack, in the tiny hollow where the arms of the sprayer are. Good thing they had TV dinners that night! When you're a kitten, you can get yourself into trouble if you're not careful.

Well, I feel a nice nap coming on.
Thanks for all the pawsome gifts and notes.
I am going to request a purrsonel assistant to help me out with my correspondence.
Think that's a good idea?

Purrs and bonks to all~
Love, Harry


More Hope

May 26th 2009 11:27 am
[ Leave A Comment | 12 people already have ]

Harry's mom here again~

My husband, the cautious one, keeps telling me not to get my hopes up.
I understand that we are asking for a miracle.
I also see such a change in just two days, in my dear Harry.

I had a long talk with his vet today. The vet was pleased, and frankly astounded at how well Harry is doing. This morning Harry purred, bonked my head a dozen times, and rubbed his head against me. He also lapped some canned food mixed with water, made into a liquid. He can't chew, of course. The remarkable thing was, after his meal, he was cleaning himself! That's another thing he shouldn't be able to do with fractures in both sides of his jawbone.

So here is what the vet said. We can take it day-by-day, and see what happens. The immediate threat of the Bridge is over, unless something changes.
We still have this issue of what the vet said he "strongly suspects" is a tumor, in his nasal/sinus cavity. The vet said this would be an expensive, invasive surgery in another town. He said he would not attempt it with Harry's kidneys in such guarded condition. If Harry can continue to improve, and gain weight, then we will look at that option.
This will take another miracle, because whatever weakened the jawbones, is still at play. But I am clinging to that hope. I just couldn't bear for Harry to follow Zack to the Bridge, so soon. But if that is the outcome, I am prepared to do whatever is best for Harry. We dearly love our handsome boy.

The last thing I wanted to talk about is all the gifts. I haven't begun to send thanks yet, for Zack, or for Harry. Honestly, I don't know how or where to start.
I am so afraid of missing someone. Please bear with me on this, and know that each post, each pmail, each rosette, each candle for both my boys, has touched David and my heart in a way I can never describe.

Love beyond measure,


Some Hope?

May 24th 2009 1:52 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 14 people already have ]

Harry's momma here.
When I got up this morning, Harry had peed all over himself. His eyes were dilated huge, and he was drooling. David and I carefully gave him a warm sponge bath, and toweled him off.
He sat quietly in my lap while David administered the sub-Q fluids.
Last night he would not accept any food. He pushed the syringe away with his paw, and cried. Today, I watched his eyes as the fluids hydrated him. Sometimes they would focus on mine. Then he began to purr. Soft, and steady, as I stroked his face.
We tried again with the food. This time, I used Fisher's tasty Fancy Feast kitten food, cut half with the Dasani water Harry loves. I know he should be eating his kidney diet food, but at this point, that issue now takes a back burner.
The first syringe of food, he hissed at me. But...he licked his lips.
The second he swallowed! Then he began to open his mouth as he saw me approach with the syringe. This is only one tiny good thing, but it is a good thing.
We fixed him up in Lizzy's (the dog) kennel because it is huge. I think it will keep him quieter. Harry is so different than Zack.
Zack wanted to always be with us, or with his cat siblings. Zack was such a people cat.
Harry wants to be left alone, and had crawled into the back of a kitchen cabinet. So I think he will be happier this way.
We still do not know what the outcome will be.
Something I had not told everyone, is that on the last x-rays, they saw a "mass" in his sinus cavity, and "something" around his jaw line. His jaw bones were starting to fracture, making it painfully impossible to chew or even lap water. The vet will talk with us next week, about what we might be dealing with.
Zack's fiancee, Kiwi, said it sounded very much like the Lymphoma that took their precious Peanut. But that is not known now.
I do not know if we can save Harry. His odds are about as bad as they could be. But love can work miracles, so we will not give up hope yet.

With so much love from Harry's parents


Needing Purrs Badly

May 23rd 2009 2:41 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 15 people already have ]

Hello my friends. I am going to let momma write this to you. Please purr hard for me. I need them worse than ever. ~Love, Harry

I don't know how to write this...I barely can even think about losing my sweet Harry, so soon after my beloved Zack.
This morning, Harry would not eat, and wasn't acting right. We took him back in to the vet, and they admitted him quickly. He has been there all day, and we just got the call that we can bring him home at five pm, to spend tomorrow with us, but that we needed to make a decision.
My poor baby. He is so young.
He will come home on heavy pain medication, and we have to feed him with a syringe. His liquids will be given with the Sub-Q bag. The vet said he could put in a feeding tube, but advised against it, saying he felt that would put even more stress on his failing kidneys. He has been Harry's vet since he was only days old, so I know it hurt him to tell us he thought we should consider euthanasia. I know I am still in shock.
Please purr for my darling boy, purr hard. Also please pray I will be able to do what is best for Harry.

With love,
Teri and David


Back To The Vet

May 19th 2009 7:37 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Well, I had to go see the vet lady again. They took more blood, and ran my blood values again. You see, I have been picking at my food, and not drinking very much either. I just don't feel so hot.
But on the good side, I gained a little bit. I went from 7.3 pounds, to 7.8 pounds! Yay!
That is partly due to all the fluids they pumped into me, but also because for a couple days I liked my new prescription food, but now it tastes icky. :(
So the vet lady showed daddy how to give me sub-Q fluids. In case you don't know what that is, it's a special mixture of electrolytes, and other good stuff, and it gets put under a layer of skin, with a needle and a bag. Then it absorbs into the body. Your kidneys need plenty of water to wash out the toxins and impurities.
One of my numbers was lower, but the other was going up again. (lower is better)
This stumped the vet because she says that usually the two do the same thing, either both go up, or both come down. So I am an interesting case for her. She told momma she will try to stay ahead of whatever is the problem, so I don't get as sick as I was.
That's about all my news.
I think mom is getting her zealie allowance tomorrow, so I will get to begin sending my thank you's. I surely do thank you all for treating me so well.

Gentle bonks and lots of purrs,


Coming Home Saturday Afternoon!

May 15th 2009 5:14 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 8 people already have ]

I showed them! My blood and kidney function numbers are better! They are double normal, but at least they aren't off the charts, like they were.

I am still on the IV, but I am eating and drinking on my own. No more kibble or Fancy Feast for me, though. I have to eat a prescription canned food now, that is low in protein, to help my kidneys work easier. I wonder what is in it? Vegetables maybe?
*scratches a memo to ask the doc*

Mom is so relieved and happy. The vet did not say 100% that I will be okay, but I know I will be. I'll show him. We Texas cats are tough.

So I will have the test repeated once more, around 10:30 am tomorrow. If the numbers have continued down, then I get to go home at 1:00 pm on Saturday!!!

*Paws crossed*

Thanks a million, everypurr. Please forgive that I haven't written thanks to each of you yet, It is going to take me a little while to do them all.

Hurray for the Power of the Paw!!!

Love & headbonks, Harry


Doing Better!

May 14th 2009 7:45 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 8 people already have ]

Momma and Dad came and saw me tonight, and boy-o-boy, was I glad to see familiar faces!
I got right up, and when mom opened the cage door, (I'm on the bottom level), I climbed right into her lap, IV line and all!
Dad took a few pictures that will be added soon.

"Take me home!", I meowed!

And some even better news, I ate a few bites on my own, and drank some water! Pictures of that event coming soon too!

The vet said tomorrow afternoon they will re-test my blood values, and the kidney function. If my numbers have improved, I go on a low protein diet. I don't know if I could come home Saturday, or if I have to stay longer. Mom will ask my regular vet, tomorrow.
See, we are all being very positive that I am going to make it. I wonder why vets and doctors always tell people the worst scenarios?
Don't they know about the power of positive thinking, or the Power of the Paw?

Mom & Dad and my cat family and I thank you all for the wonderful purrs.
Please keep purring until I get home.

Love and gentle bonks,

  Sort By Oldest First

Harry (2002-2009) ✟


Family Pets

Zack Beloved
My Big Love
(1994-2012 )
Loves Catster
The Texas Wild
Bunch ✯
16) ✟


(What does RSS do?)