One of my favorite holiday traditions is baking pies, and there’s no better way to capture the spirit of a cat-loving home than with this cat-themed pie crust. What I love about this “recipe” is that it’s not a recipe at all. You can use your favorite pie crust and filling recipes or even a store-bought pie crust. It’s easy to add a little flair to your favorite baking traditions. Important note: This recipe is for humans only and should not be consumed by kitties!
What you’ll need:
- Your favorite cookie cutters — cat-themed of course! Hearts and other holiday shapes make great additions.
- Your favorite pie crust, homemade or store bought. You’ll need enough for the bottom and to cover the top of your pie.
- Your favorite pie filling.
- Follow your favorite recipe for your pie crust and filling.
- Divide dough in half.
- Construct the bottom crust and filling as your recipe instructs.
- Roll out the top pie crust, making sure it is thin but you are able to pick it up. (If the dough is too soft, chill until it’s firm enough to roll.)
- Using your cookie cutters, cut out shapes for the edges and center of your pie. You can get really creative here, covering as much or as little of the pie as you like and featuring your favorite cat breeds and holiday designs.
- To make the design pictured here, I used a mix of small fish and hearts around the edge, then I added a cat and two more hearts for the center of the pie.
- Arrange cutouts onto your pie.
- Bake your pie as instructed.
About the author
Sam is a dog lover, writer, baker, crafter and Instagrammer. When she’s not writing, she’s decorating cookies at her blog SugaredAndIced.com or Instagramming her dogs @FrenchHuggs_ and @Quinnstadoodle.
Editor’s note: This article appeared in Catster magazine. Have you seen the new Catster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? Subscribe now to get Catster magazine delivered straight to you!