Here’s a question I received a short while ago.

Is there any insulin antidote if a dog gets an overdose of insulin?

Insulin is a medicine that treats diabetes in dogs and cats (and humans). Diabetes is a disease in which blood sugar is too high. Insulin lowers blood sugar.

Insulin is very powerful. An overdose of insulin is a big deal. It can lead to fatally low blood sugar. The most effective antidote for an insulin overdose is an intravenous infusion of sugar. This only can be performed by a qualified veterinarian.

More basic treatments exist for insulin overdoses. A stomach full of food helps to keep blood sugar high. Sugary syrup rubbed on the gums can raise blood sugar transiently. But these methods will not be sufficient to overcome a serious overdose of insulin.

If your pet has received too much insulin, or if you suspect that your pet may have received too much insulin, there is only one option. Get to the vet as fast as possible.

*/

Get Catster in Your Inbox!

Stay informed! Get tips and exclusive deals.

May We Also Recommend

Our Most-Commented Stories