I love facts. When I was a kid, I’d spend all afternoon examining every page of the Guinness Book of World Records, and I loved perusing the World Book Encyclopedias. Yeah, I’m that old. Thank goodness for the Internet and all, but there was something extraordinarily cool about that human body section with all the transparent layers. Kids nowadays will never truly appreciate the cool simplicity of watching the nervous system magically merge with the digestive system. Good times.
My son is also a fact freak. We’ve hung out on the sofa for hours, paging through Ripley’s Believe It or Not books and animal guides. I’m so glad he and I are both curious learners, and always up for picking up cool, fun facts — especially about cats.
If you and the kids in your life also enjoy learning tidbits about our feline friends, you’re in luck! I’ve scoured the Internet (sorry, World Book), and gathered 20 great cat facts!
1. Cats sleep 16-18 hours per day
But even when they seem to be sleeping, they aren’t always “asleep.” They wouldn’t want to miss an opportunity to hear a treat bag open, right?
2. Calico cats are most always female
The rare male calico cat is usually not able to breed. Who knew? Now you do.
3. Cats can jump approximately seven times their height
4. A group of kittens is called a kindle, and a group of cats is called a clowder
But don’t try downloading a book on your kindle of kittens because it won’t work.
5. Abraham Lincoln domesticated four cats while in the White House
Honest, and a cat guy! Maybe he should have written the Kittysburg Address.
6. Napoleon, Julius Caesar, and Charles XI were known as courageous men, but were afraid of cats
7. 10 percent of a cat’s bones are in his tail
Plus, a cat’s tail is a major way they communicate with us. It’s true!
8. Cats have approximately 100 vocal sounds
“Meeeee-ow!” And also, “Mee-ooooowwww!”
9. A cat’s powerful vision allows them to see light at levels six times less than what a human can see
Despite what some think, kitties cannot see in complete darkness.
10. A cat has 230 bones — even more than a human!
A cat’s collarbone doesn’t connect with his other bones. This allows cats to squeeze through small spaces.
11. Cats have 24 whiskers
Cat whiskers are super sensitive and help them figure out if they can fit through openings. They’re also one of the major ways they communicate. And they’re super cute.
12. Each cat’s nose pad is unique, similar to a human’s fingerprint
A nose pad is also known as “nose leather.” Did you know that?
13. Cats can gauge their human’s mood and often change their mood to match it
Cute and psychic!
14. A cat’s tongue contains small hooks, which help with bathing and tearing food
That’s why it feels like sandpaper when our kitties lick our arm.
15. The scientific name for hairball is “bezoar”
Also a great name for a cat.
16. A cat cannot see directly beneath his nose
The super vision powers do have a limit.
17. In ancient Egypt, humans shaved their eyebrows as a way of showing grief when a family cat had passed.
Interesting, but I think I would also grieve for my eyebrows.
18. Cats greet one another by touching noses
“Do I ‘nose’ you?”
19. There are 73 million cats and only 63 million dogs in North American homes
20. Cats can only move their jaw up and down — not side to side
Even cats with cow-printed coats can’t do it.
Do you know any fun cat facts? Share them in the comments!
Read more about cats and kids:
- 5 Tips for Teaching Your Kids How to Properly Handle a Cat
- Should You Let Your Kids Name Your Cat?
- 4 Ways to Keep Your First Cat Happy When You Adopt a Kitten
Read More by Angie Bailey:
- 5 Tips for Helping Your Kids Start a Pet-Sitting Business
- I’m Raising My Son to Love Cats, No Matter What Society Thinks
- 6 Tips for Planning the Perfect Cat-themed Party for Kids
About the Author: Angie Bailey is an eternal optimist with an adoration of all things silly. Loves pre-adolescent boy humor, puns, making up parody songs, thinking about cats doing people things and The Smiths. Writes Catladyland, a cat humor blog, Texts from Mittens (originated right here on Catster) and authored whiskerslist: the kitty classifieds, a silly book about cats wheeling and dealing online. Partner in a production company and writes and acts in a comedy web series that features sketches and mockumentaries. Mother to two humans and three cats, all of which want her to make them food.