One of the hardest parts of being a pet parent is finding a way to deal with a scared and anxious feline. Whether they are upset over a car ride, stressed about a vet appointment, or they are not getting along with a new member of the household, a worked-up kitty can cause some big issues.
The crying, clawing, biting, and scratching can take its toll on your furniture and other possessions. Something that many people swear by, however, is a calming spray. This easy-to-use solution is a great option for keeping your furball calm and collected during an otherwise stressful situation.
Though using one is easy, finding the right calming spray for cats is difficult. This is why we have put together a list of the nine best calming sprays for cats. We have reviewed the ingredients, scent, effectiveness, time frame, and much more. We shared a buyer’s guide with some more helpful tips, too!
A Quick Comparison of Our Favourites (Updated 2023)
|Best Overall||BestLife4Pets||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Value||Nature's Miracle||CHECK PRICE|
|Premium Choice||Comfort Zone||CHECK PRICE|
|bSerene Calming Spray||CHECK PRICE|
|Zen Kitty||CHECK PRICE|
The 8 Best Cat Calming Sprays
1. BestLife4Pets Calming Spray – Best Overall
Our first choice is the BestLife4Pets Calming Spray for cats. This is a 1-ounce bottle that comes in either a 2- or 3-pack. You can use this formula to calm your kitty during car rides, anxiety, or any general stressful situations. It can also be used to curb clawing, scratching, and biting on your furniture.
The BestLife4Pets is an all-natural botanical formula that uses cherry plum, rock rose, clematis, impatients, and star of Bethlehem to ease your puss into a state of zen-like calm. You can spray this onto your cat crate, car seats, furniture, or you can rub it on your hands and put it directly on their fur. It is completely safe and non-addicting, as well.
This is a great option that comes in a leak-proof bottle, so you can take it on the go. The spray does not stain your furniture, plus it has a pleasant fragrance you will enjoy. Not only that, but it is formulated without any harmful or artificial ingredients. Finally, the BestLife4Pets will take effect in as little as 15 minutes and last for hours. Overall, this is our favorite choice for best cat calming spray.
2. Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Calming Spray – Best Value
If you are looking for a more affordable option for your stressed-out puss, Nature’s Miracle Just For Cats Calming Spray is a good option for you. This non-sedating formula will reduce your pet’s anxiety during car rides, vet appointments, and much more.
Nature’s Miracle is long-lasting and works within 20 minutes. The formula is made of herb, flower, and plant extracts such as lemongrass. You can spray it on all surfaces such as your cat carrier, couch, and rugs to keep your little one comfortable.
One drawback of this product, however, is it is not all-natural. It contains parabens and a few other artificial ingredients. Other than that, though, this is the best cat calming spray for the money.
3. Comfort Zone Cat Calming Spray – Premium Choice
The Comfort Zone Cat Calming Spray is a good option if you prefer a scentless spray. Although this formula is more expensive, it is drug and habit-forming-free. It is safe for all surfaces, pets, and humans, plus it will not stain anything it is sprayed on.
The Comfort Zone replicates natural pheromones to calm your kitty. This product works to change your cat’s behavior in general over time, as well. For example, you will see a calmer cat in one week, and a change to their anxiety completely within four weeks.
As far as the short term, this formula will help relax your cat in as little as 15 minutes, plus it will last up to 24 hours. What’s more, it will help with urine marking. The only drawback of note is, as mentioned, this product is more costly than others. Otherwise, this is a good option for those with fragrance sensitivities.
4. bSerene Pheromone & Catnip Oil Calming Spray for Cats
The first thing we want to point out about this formula is it is drug-free but doubles effects due to the catnip feel-good effect plus the pheromones feel-safe effect, resulting in the perfect calming spray. The product can be sprayed to their sleeping space, crate, toys, and blankets to help keep them calm. A pro tip is to use the same brand diffuser while at home and have this product to apply on the go during car transportations or hotel stays, in this way your kitty will always feel “at home”.
The only downside of this product is that it is flammable so it needs to be used with caution and never near a fire source such as cigarettes, the stove, or a campfire. It is also an eye irritant so you must be careful to protect your and your cat’s eyes during the application.
5. Zen Kitty Aromatic Feline Calming
If you or your cat have sensitivities to oils, this next spray will be a winner for you. Made of hydrosols and flower essences in an alcohol and water-base, the Zen Kitty Aromatic Feline Calming spray contains no essential oils that would irritant the skin and nose of you and your pet.
Using rose and Bulgarian Neroli, the Zen Kitty is effective at calming and de-stressing your cat. You can use this on all furniture, toys, and pet accessories. Not only that, but you can spray this directly on your furball if they compulsively clean or bite themselves during high-stress situations.
One thing you should note is regarding the formula. As it is alcohol-based, spraying it directly on your pet could cause their skin and fur to become dry. Not only that, but it has the potential to stain furniture and fabrics, so spot testing is recommended. What’s more, the scent of this product is not always a favorite among the feline population. Some kitties will not stay in the area if it is sprayed making the calming effect useless.
To end on a bright note, however, this is a safe spray that works quickly and will continue to be effective for several hours.
6. Pet Organics No-Stress Spray
This next spray is available in a 16-fluid ounce bottle. The Pet Organics is an all-natural formula based on synthetic pheromones. It works by simulating calming pheromones like those a mother cat secretes to calm down her kittens. It sends a chemical signal to their brain letting them know there is nothing to fear.
The Pet organics is made with a mild rosemary and clove formula. Please note that the scent is very mild, but is also not effective at calming down the more anxious pets. If your cat is overly fearful, this may not be the best option. Also, it can take a considerable amount of time for the scent to take effect.
On the other hand, the formula is safe to spray on all surfaces. The only drawback here is it needs to be reapplied often. Finally, be aware that some cats do not like the scent, whatsoever and will not remain in the same space with it.
7. SENTRY GOOD Behavior Calming Spray
Our ninth choice is the SENTRY GOOD Behavior Calming Spray. This is a lavender and chamomile formula that can be used on furniture, cat carries, blankets, and other items where your pet would find comfort. It uses pheromone technology to relieve stress due to car rides, dogs, and other anxiety-prone situations. It is safe for both you and your pet, as well.
Unfortunately, this spray requires a lot of uses before it is effective. Also, because it comes in one fluid ounce bottle, you will need to repurchase this item frequently. Most importantly, however, the SENTRY is not as effective at reducing stress in your kitty.
Another factor you want to consider is the scent. It is not only very strong, but many animals do not appreciate it and will not stay in the same area with it. Also, the formula can stain most surfaces that are not easily wiped down. We recommended that you avoid using this on fabrics, rugs, couches, etc. Finally, the spray bottle itself often becomes clogged and will not spray.
8. Pet MasterMind Cat Spray
Our final choice is the Pet MasterMind Cat Spray. This is a herbal formula that comes in a 10.4-ounce bottle. It uses a blend of pheromones, jasmine, and passionflower to help calm your pet. Unfortunately, the minimal effect of the spray takes a long time to work and will only last for about 30 minutes at the longest.
You should also note that this spray’s scent is not pleasant. It has a smell close to flowery cat pee and is quite unpleasant to spray on your furniture. Also, beware that this formula will stain your fabrics and rugs. What’s worse, it leaves a film on stone, plastic, and wood surfaces.
The Pet MasterMind is sourced in Canada and the USA. Although it is safe and natural, it requires a lot of product before you see minimal results. Also, like our last option, the spray portion of the bottle becomes clogged quickly, and you will not be able to spray it. Overall, this is our least favorite option for a calming spray for your cat.
Buyer’s Guide: Choose the Best Cat Calming Spray
Important Facts About Cat Calming Sprays
There is a lot of misinformation about what is healthy for your pet and what is not. When it comes to calming sprays, collars, and diffusers, many ingredients are questionable due to their ingredients. Truth be told, some scents are harmful to your pet in their raw form, yet perfectly safe in a diffused essential oil formula.
First, there are a few ways these calming sprays are formulated. They can be done with essential oils, essences, or pheromones.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils are used in many different ways including calming ourselves and our pets. Oils derived from lavender, copaiba, and frankincense (among others) are all safe to use with your feline. Oils are very strong in scent, so if you or your pet have sensitivities, essential oils may not be the way to go. Also, you want to be careful about which ones you are using. The FDA does not regulate these commodities, so looking for “organic” and “pure” oil is recommended.
- Essences: Unlike oils, essences do not have a scent. They are a liquid extract of a flower or plant, and they are usually made with a water base. Essences, like oils, have many positive side effects including calming our cats, but you need to make sure you are getting a spray that is safe for your pet. Some ingredients are detrimental to your feline as they process things differently than us or even dogs. Not to worry, we will give you the scoop on what to avoid a bit later.
- Pheromones: Sprays that use synthetic pheromones is like giving your cat a calming pill-without the pill. This is a fairly new way of calming your pet, but research has found it to be effective. Felines communicate via pheromones. It is how a mother cat soothes and eases their young. When these synthetic ingredients are added to a calming formula, they have been found to work wonders, and they have few side effects. That being said, one of the biggest drawbacks is the scent is not always as pleasant as it would be with an oil or essence formula.
Regardless of which calming spray type you choose, we want to make sure your cat is not only calmer but also safe. Inhaling toxic ingredients can cause your feline to have a runny nose, cough, watery eyes, vomiting, burning nose and throat, and difficulty breathing. If you notice these symptoms, move your pet to fresh air right away. If the symptoms do not immediately clear up, call for assistance ASAP.
As promised, here are some ingredients you should stay away from when looking for a product:
- Sweet birch
- Clove oil
There are several different reasons why you would need a calming spray for your cat. For example, some felines are skittish by nature and benefit from regular exposure to relaxing ingredients and scents. On the other hand, some pets only need help when going for a car ride, a vet visit, or there are times when you might be introducing a new member of the family.
Either way, cats in distress can cry consistently, scratch, urinate, bite, and otherwise run havoc in your household. For that reason, when you pick out a calming spray, you want to consider your kitty’s temperament and personality. Here are a few things to look at first:
- The Application: Most calming sprays are meant to be used on the items surrounding your pet such as their toys, blanket, and carrier. This will surround them with the pleasant and calming effects of the spray. That being said, sprays that are applied to their fur will help with new guests in the house along with cats that are normally skittish.
- Does It Stain?: This next factor runs hand and hand with the one before. If you are planning on using a spray on your furniture, car, or cat’s toys, make sure it is a formula that will not stain or leave a film.
- Wait Time: The time it takes for the spray to work is another important consideration. This is especially true if the product will only be used for vet visits, etc. Ideally, you want your pet to be calm before you leave the house, and most of us do not have all day to wait for it to kick in!
- Lasting Effects: Just like wait time, you also do not want the spray to wear off during your drive home or other tense occasion. A formula that will work for several hours is key. Better to have them relaxed longer than scared quicker.
- The Scent: Finally, let’s talk about scent. Not everyone likes the scent of lavender, nor does every cat like the scent of rosemary. Make sure this is a scent both you and your feline will enjoy especially if you plan to use this spray often.
There is nothing more stressful for us than having a cute kitty that is anxious, scared, and upset. Being able to calm and comfort them is important to ensure everyone’s well-being. We hope that the reviews above have helped you determine which spray will be right for your cat. Picking out a single product can be tough, but a happy zen-like puss is priceless.
In our opinion, the BestLife4Pets Calming Spray is the best available option. It is effective, long-lasting, and works quickly. If you need a more affordable option, Nature’s MiracleJust For Cats Calming Spray will keep your kitty relaxed at a lower price tag.
Featured Image Credit: Olha Povozniuk, Shutterstock
- 1 A Quick Comparison of Our Favourites (Updated 2023)
- 2 The 8 Best Cat Calming Sprays
- 2.1 1. BestLife4Pets Calming Spray – Best Overall
- 2.2 2. Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Calming Spray – Best Value
- 2.3 3. Comfort Zone Cat Calming Spray – Premium Choice
- 2.4 4. bSerene Pheromone & Catnip Oil Calming Spray for Cats
- 2.5 5. Zen Kitty Aromatic Feline Calming
- 2.6 6. Pet Organics No-Stress Spray
- 2.7 7. SENTRY GOOD Behavior Calming Spray
- 2.8 8. Pet MasterMind Cat Spray
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: Choose the Best Cat Calming Spray
- 4 Conclusion