Across the pond in the UK, Andy Williams of Bracknell, Berks, is alive because of the quick-thinking heroism of neighbor cat Hugo, who roused him from sleep when his house caught fire.

Williams woke in the middle of the night to find two-year-old tabby Hugo clawing at his face, trying to awaken him. He quickly realized his home was on fire.

Williams said, “I was in a really deep sleep until I felt Hugo’s clawing. As soon as I was awake he flew out the door. I got up to follow him and saw thick black smoke in the hall.”

The blaze was caused by an electrical fault. Firefighters told Williams that he would have been dead within minutes without Hugo’s intervention.

Williams added: “It is hard to comprehend that I owe my life to my neighbor’s cat.”

Darren Hill, Hugo’s owner said, “I am so proud of him.”

Justifyably so. Good work, Hugo!

[LINK: thesun.co.uk]