Goat Starts Fire; Cat Saves the Day

 |  Jan 16th 2009  |   16 Contributions


This week in Warren County Iowa, a cat rousted its owner from sleep as their house was burning, saving the lives of three residents, two goats and the family dog.


One of the goats was the likely culprit, when a space heater in an attached shed -- placed there to protect the goats from the bitter cold -- was knocked over. Neither of the goats was willing to give a statement.


"My cat woke me up and I saw smoke coming out of my fan," John Hadley told KCCI-TV, Des Moines. "I made sure I got her (Hadley's mother) out and then I know she loves her animals, so I rounded all her animals up, and by that point, flames and smoke were everywhere."


The three residents had to wait in the freezing cold for firefighters, who battled frozen roads with tanker trucks to get to the fire scene. There was little they could do once they arrived -- the house was swallowed in flames and battling the blaze in the frigid weather was tough on both the firefighters and the equipment.


The cat bolted after escaping the burning house and has not been seen since, but was assumed to be okay.


  • Watch the video here.
    [PHOTO CREDIT: kcci.com ]

  • Contributions

    Tip: Creating a profile and avatar takes just a minute and is a great way to participate in Catster's community of people who are passionate about cats.

    blog comments powered by Disqus