The family and their dog, Lassie, escaped through an upstairs window as the fire raged, but 6-month-old Ace the Cat was left behind and was presumed to have perished. A neighbor even told the family that the kittens body had been found.
When they returned to to assess the damage, 14-year-old Jessica Plattner walked through the burned out home calling the cat’s name. She heard a meow coming from above. The meowing continued, and using her cellphone as a flashlight, she stumbled upstairs to find Ace on the burned remains of a bed, surrounded by insulation. He actually looked pretty decent, her mother, Jacqueline LeVoir said, he just looked a little skinnier and he was all dirty and full of soot.
The kitten — who was a cherished Christmas gift — was coughing and sneezing, but checked out as healthy by the vet. He’s receiving nasal saline and antibiotics, but is otherwise none the worse for wear.
It truly is a miracle, Jacqueline LaVoir said. They are so happy. If my house had to burn down, it couldn’t have been better that literally everybody survived including the pets.
The family lost everything in the blaze, yet everything that mattered was saved.