Fireworks and Thunderstorms: Prepare Your Pets for Summer Booms
Fireworks and Thunderstorms: Tips from the Humane Society Naples on how to prepare your pet for the "Boom!"
By Ericka Basile
What do fireworks and summer rain have in common? Noises, which often frighten animals.
The Humane Society Naples recommends the following tips to help prepare your pet for loud fireworks and booming thunder.
1. "Accustom your pet to loud noises early on when they are puppies. Bang pots and pans and then give your pet a treat," suggests Tiffany Campbell, trainer with the Humane Society.
2. For older dogs or anxiety-prone pets give them a crate to hide in. Cover this den with a towel for added security.
3. Turn on the TV or radio to create ambient noise which will lessen the shock of sudden loud noises.
4. Speak calmly to your pet and offer soft massage. TLC goes a long way in easing anxiety. So do treats.
5. Try an anxiety wrap such as Thundershirts. Used by leading behavior experts across the country, these Velcro-wrap shirts comfort pets; akin to the time-tested trick of swaddling an infant.
6. Another option is to rub a sheet of fabric softener along the coat of your dog prior to a storm. Static electricity, which often accompanies a thunderstorm, causes fur to stand up and this alarms your pet.
7. For severe cases, visit our clinic medical director at the Humane Society Naples, or your veterinarian, and ask if your pet needs anti-anxiety medication for occasional use.
How do we know so much about stress in pets? The animals at the Humane Society Naples sometimes arrive in an anxious state, due to their sudden environmental changes. Transitioning pets from a house to a shelter has given our staff a keen understanding of how environmental noises can play a role in a pet's stress level. Offering a place to hide, soothing voices, and anxiety wraps often help the shelter pets manage stress.
Prepare yourselves and your pet ahead of time is key. Anxiety in pets is stressful not only for the animal, but also for the owner. Make this Fourth of July a true celebration where you and your pet can enjoy the evening. Utilize the tips and tricks mentioned above to make summer rain showers and thunder stress-free.
Visit www.hsnaples.org to learn more about the shelter.