Update: Cats and Art Get Tons of Exposure in Cat Art Show L.A.
That's what I said yesterday to my old friend (and kick-ass journalist) Susan Michals, who lives in Los Angeles. It was my reaction to the attention she has received for an exhibit she curated that's part cat, part art, and part Hollywood. I interviewed her about it last month. It's called Cat Art Show | Los Angeles. When she sent me a list of publications and TV networks that have featured stories on the show, I knew it belonged in this Last-Minute, Short-Notice Edition of Cat Dandy.
First up is Buzzfeed. Look at its video report of opening night (that includes shots of a line that's at least three blocks long):
Others who've reported on Cat Art Show include the Daily Beast, which proclaims "They're Done with YouTube. Now Cats Storm the Art World."
The Huffington Post calls it "the Cat-Centric Exhibition to End All Cat-Centric Exhibitons."
Time says it's "The World's Best Collection of Cat Art."
It's really no wonder, because the exhibit is a very big deal. I've covered arts in San Francisco before, and Susan's lineup of artists and artwork is pretty impressive. It includes Shepard Fairey (best known for his propaganda-poster-inspired prints "OBEY" and "HOPE," the latter featuring Barack Obama) as well as Jenny Parks, Marc Dennis, Mercedes Helnwein, Charlotte Dumas, and the aptly named Christian Furr (the youngest artist commissioned to paint a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II).
"The show has gotten an astronomical amount of press, not to mention comments," Michals said Tuesday, "so much so we're thinking of Cat Art Show No. 2."
If you live in Southern California or plan to visit, you can still see Cat Art Show LA. It runs one more weekend -- noon to 5 p.m. on Feb. 1 and 2 ("Skip the Super Bowl!" Susan says) at a gallery called 101/exhibit, located at 6205 Santa Monica Blvd. in Los Angeles.
What's the coolest cat art you've seen? Is your cat your muse?
Cat Dandy is sad he couldn't make it to Cat Art Show's opening night:
- Leaving My Cat for 16 Days Helped Our Relationship
- I Resolve to Be a Better Cat Owner -- and Cat Guy -- in 2014
- My 5 Best Cat-Guy Experiences of 2013
- Serious Question: Do You Have Sex While Your Cat Is in the Room?
- Confession: Jackson Galaxy Is My Celebrity Crush
- Lil Bub's "Dude" Talks About How His Cute Little Cat Got Famous and Changed His Life
- I Gave My Cat a Tarot Reading
- I Think of My Cat as My Friend; Am I Out of My Mind?
- Jackson Galaxy Interview: The Cat Daddy Meets the Cat Dandy
- I Got My First Cat-Sitting Assignment -- And I Blew It
- I Love Animals, Including the Ones I Eat: Thoughts from a Cat-Loving Omnivore
- Am I a "Cat Guy" or Just a Guy with a Cat?
Learn more about your cat with Catster:
- Weird Cat Facts: 8 Reasons Your Cat Likes to Lick You
- Top-Secret Tips to Get Your Cats to Pose for Your Camera
- 5 Ways to Catify Your Home, Even If You Aren't the Handy Type
About Keith Bowers: This broad-shouldered, bald-headed, leather-clad motorcyclist also has passions for sharp clothing, silver accessories, great writing, the arts, and cats. This career journalist loves painting, sculpting, photographing, and getting on stage. He once was called "a high-powered mutant," which also describes his cat, Thomas. He is senior editor at Catster and Dogster.