September 18th 2010 10:45 am
[ Leave A Comment | 4 people already have ]
Meowmy and I are besides ourselves with worry. Since I am now Queen of the household, while Meowmy is at school during the day, I watch over my older sisfurs Miss Kitty and Baby and my younger sisfur Bastet. Miss Kitty has been suffering over a year with Pancreatitis and seems to be wasting away. She will not eat the vet's food unless Meowmy mixes it with canned tuna. Even with that she still gets sick and when I hear her crying before she is sick at her stomach, I run downstairs to see if I can help her. I think she likes me there and finds me comforting until Meowmy comes home. Meowmy has taken her to the vet for tests and he says there is no sign of cancer or parasites which is good news, but because she can't keep food on her stomach, she seems to be wasting away.
My baby sisfur Bastet can't seem to rid herself of the bacterial infection she began in mid August. Again this past week she became lithargic, not eating, drinking from our fountain, or using her litter box. She wanted to stay in her room, and wouldn't ask to go out on her leash. Meowmy stayed with her at night because she seemed to need Meomwy's comfort and I had to stay out of her room which made me very upset. I scratched and rattled the door trying to get in, but Meowmy wanted Bastet to rest quietly without playing with me. After school last Tuesday, Meowmy rushed Bastet to the vet for another battery of tests. The tests again showed no cysts, tumors, or blockages, and the Feline Leukemia test came back negative. However, again as in mid August a large amount of bacteria was present in her urine and she lost 1/2 a pound since then. This was alarming because in May she tipped the scale at just 7 pounds. Last Tuesday the vet gave her an antibiotic shot instead of pills and liquid as he did in August. Next Saturday she will receive another shot and he will run another battery of tests. After the antibiotics have been out of her system for awhile, Bastet needs to go back for another battery of tests to see if the bacterial infection is gone.
The vet is baffled and hopes there is no corrilation between her Hemophelia and this infection meaning that her immune system is shutting down. If this is the case, this could be very serious. Meowmy and the vet are looking at it like this. It was difficult to get the initial dosage of antibiotics in her, so perhaps she didn't receive enough to kill all of the bacteria thus the infection returned.
Today, Saturday, she did eat the experimental food the vet gave her and some Greenie Treats, used her litter box and drank a great deal of water. She wanted to come out of her room, so Meowmy let her go downstairs. She is now sleeping in the sunny living room. So we are all happy there seems to be some improvement and hope this continues.
Leave A Comment | 4 people already have
we will be purring for your sisfurs my friend..
May The Mother Cat Hold them close and keep them safe..
Oh dear we are sick at this news.
We are purring for Bastet and Pretty Girl.
We love you so much. Hugs Hugs Hugs to all of you right now.
I'm purring for your whole family! Maybe another vet? Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can do the trick. My mom and I are wishing all good things for you!
Oh, this is terrible news, dear! Purrs and headbonks go your way!
You are such a good sisfur!
Go and check your gifts.