Heidi

Why does my cat keep carrying around her toy mouse and meowing?

Asked by Heidi on Sep 8th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

This is very common behavior. Delilah has a toy mouse that she carries around and always makes the same meow when she does. I'm not sure if she's "bragging" about "catching" the mouse or if she's warning Izzie and Lizzie to stay away because the mouse is hers. In their mind, they've actually hunted down and caught something. They're a hero (or heroine) and they want everybody to see how wonderful they are.

I can only add one meower thing to what Izzie said, and that is: your cat may want to play with you by dropping the mouse near where you are. When Orion or Pookie does that, we play fetch or soccer. ^_^

Nicholas

Yes, as below, she has hunted and caught her prey and wants you to know it. Nicholas does this with some of his toys. Sounds like he is in distress sometimes but he is just letting me know what he has. A lot of times he will drop the mouse in his water bowl or in his food bowl and start eating. So, the hunt has made him hungry which makes total sense! Praise her and continue the game!

Nicholas answered on 9/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer