Matilda

Camping with cats?

I'm going to be going camping next month and I'm deciding on whether or not to take my cat. My cat has never been alone so I don't want to leave her in the house by herself. My only two options are to take her with me or have someone else watch her.

I'd prefer to take her with me, but I'm not sure if she would find it too stressful. Has anyone taken their cats camping? Was it a good or bad idea?

Asked by Matilda on Apr 11th 2009 Tagged camping in Travel & Recreation

Answers

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

In my honest opinion, I would not take your cat camping, and definitely not in a tent. There are too many bigger, meaner creatures that could hurt her or make her sick. Or, she could get lost. It's a big, scary world out there and a frightened cat can be really hard to find. Especially if she has not been outdoors at all.

Your best bet would be to find a trusted friend to visit her once or twice a day, or board her at a kennel. You would have the peace of mind that she will be safe and taken care of, so you can enjoy your camping trip :)

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 4/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I agree with Cleopatra. I would not do it. There is far too much risk of losing her in an unfamiliar place and no real benefit for Matilda. She will be much better off at home with someone to check on her. When I travel, I have professional pet sitters that come in once a day for feeding, litterbox scooping and cuddles. And then, just to be sure, I have a friend that stops by once or twice to make sure the sitters are doing their job. (paranoid Mom) But I know my babies are safe in the home they are familiar with and that nothing can happen to them.

Lucy Nooner

I know it's hard to leave your kitty behind but I agree with the other posters. Matilda will feel much more comfortable in her own home with a pet sitter or friend checking on her rather than going camping. Safety is definitely the biggest reason not to bring her as the other posters stated. She could get lost and there are very scary predators out there who would be very interested in a kitty. There was a story about a kitty getting lost on a family camping trip in the Cat's Meow blog not too long ago blogs.catster.com

I have a really hard time leaving Lucy behing when I go out of town. To ease my mind, I have a petsitter come twice a day to feed her and give her love. The truth is, as much as I worry about her, she spends most of her time sleeping : )

Lucy Nooner answered on 4/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harvey

I agree with the other posters. Don't take your cat camping, and use the services of a pet sitter if possible. Depending on how long your trip is and what you feed your cat, you could also consider leaving her at home alone. I used to do this with my brother/sister duo, for up to five days; they ate dry food, so I'd just load up on food and water for them, and they were so close that they never seemed terribly lonely. This weekend, i went out of town with Harvey for a cat show, and I left the other five alone with dry food and water. My biggest worry was that the three kittens, who are Maine Coons who are big on splashing water all over the place, would deplete the water supply, but everything was fine when I got back. However, for a single kitty, it might get lonesome, and having someone check your cat regularly is, obviously, the better idea.

Harvey answered on 4/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

Go the petsitting route, definitely. A good professional petsitter will answer all the questions and concerns you have free of charge, and will also ask you questions about your kitty, and will do a consulting visit for free before you contract him or her. We (humans and the cats) love our pet sitter. We usually try to have the first visit during a new trip happen while we're still packing to leave, so that the cats can get reacquainted with her with their humans around.

Another option is to ask a friend or relative that Matilda already knows and trusts to look in on her. We've done that too, when we've been able to arrange it.

My cats are ok with traveling with me, and sometimes have, but I would never dream of taking them camping. Like Cleopatra mentioned, there are all sorts of wildlife out there that could be a danger to your cat, plus she might get frightened and lost. I'd keep Matilda where it's safest for her, and just give her extra snuggles when you come back.

Gracie answered on 4/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy (in loving memory my swe

I think its according to how old and how well your cat is attached to you. We took out kitten camping with us in a tent. He had a litter box, food and water. During the day we let him go with us out side the tent. He never wondered off but then again he was a total mommas boy and scared of everything. he loved it when it was cool at night. He was an indoor kitty and this was the only time he got to spend out side. If you cat is an outside cat, there is no way i'd take the kitty camping. When they are outside cats they are used to having to watch for danger. So it makes em bolder. Bold in a camping area isnt good. He will run away and be scared. If you have to leave her home. Let the neighbor or family come check on her in her home. Leave the T.V on it will give her company. I think she will be just fine by herself but if you want to leave her with someone thats fine too. its up to what you thinks best for your baby.

Sassy (in loving memory my swe answered on 4/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Princess

Princess goes camping with us all the time in our holiday trailer. I have her in a harness and on a leash when she is outside with us, and she truly does love it. Her dog friend, Tobi, and her share the back seat of the truck while we drive and they are both harnessed and seatbelted. She loves to go in the car or truck as long as she is not confined to a kennel.

Princess answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think it starts with the right cat. We had a cat years ago, Niles. He was an indoor/outdoor cat (all current cats are indoor). He loved to go with us to visit a friend's trailer. Of course he considered every domain his. I would suggest an overnight practice camping trip in your own yard or area. We have had great success finding out which cat would be best with a sitter & which would be best to travel with us. We have always 'trained' or conditioned cats to respond to the Italian for 'let's go' since they were kittens. It's helpful when we try to round them up and they have all responded to it knowing cuddling or a treat or a ration of food is the reward. We started that after Niles was killed, so every kitten since then has been trained to the command. We have had the odd escape from home. Calling their name didn't do it. As soon as we say the 'let's go' command, they come running.
We have 2 cats. One I would take camping & the other not. Since they get along, we don't take either

I've taken Fred camping since he was 4 mo. old he's now 6 mo. He loves it. I have an rv so he is mostly inside. I have a lg. dog encloser I put him in on the deck for short times and only if I'm out with him. He doesn't try to get out when he's home or at the camper but asks to go in the enclosure at the camper.