If you share your home with feline friends, odds are you’ve been called a crazy cat lady at some point — even if the person who said it was joking and meant well. I only have two cats, but I tell everyone I love them like family and constantly assault Facebook with their adorable photos.
My fascination with these majestic beasts has earned me the title crazy cat lady more than once. In fact, one time I was gifted a mug bearing these words, and I use it with the same pride as anyone who’s been dubbed No. 1 Dad or World’s Best Golfer.
So, I figure, why not embrace the stereotype this Halloween and dress like the craziest of crazy cat ladies this side of crazy town? Here are five videos and photos to show how it’s done.
1. Crazy cat lady costume tutorial
This young makeup wiz turns herself into a pale, bedraggled woman who spends too much time cleaning litter boxes to see the sun using nothing more than a little eyeliner, concealer, and foundation — and her three cats, of course.
2. How to do it wrong
The origin of this video is murky; from what I can gather, it was a submission to some kind of Halloween costume contest. In any case, it looks straight out of a horror flick — like, now that I’ve watched this, I’m pretty sure I’m under some kind of curse. Any minute I’m expecting a whispered phone call saying, “Seven days.”
3. How to do it right
She might be just a kid, but this little girl knows how to wrangle a flock of felines. She’s probably the most adorable crazy cat lady I’ve ever seen. If I’d known this costume was an option in elementary school, I totally would’ve gone this route instead of dressing up as Cleopatra for three years straight.
4. Channel The Simpsons
The crazy cat lady from The Simpsons has, for better or worse, become a kind of cultural icon (well, maybe just in my mind).
Capturing her look for Halloween can be a lot of fun, as this photo proves.
Or this one.
On the flip side, you could always go as a sleek, attractive, well-groomed cat lady. So pretty much go as yourself, then.
5. Or just dress as a cat
If you’re not feeling the crazy cat lady vibe, you could take the other obvious route and dress as a cat — even one of the Internet’s favorite celebrikitties. This step-by-step tutorial shows you exactly how to transform yourself into Grumpy Cat in time for the big day. Bonus: You don’t have to crack a smile while handing out candy to the kids who are beating down your door.
Watch more cat videos:
- 5 Videos That Prove Big Cats are Just Like Little Cats
- The 7 Deadly Sins, as Demonstrated by Cat Videos
- Is Your Cat a Jerk? Take This Quiz to Find Out!
- 5 Important Life Lessons You Can Learn From Cat Videos
- Everything We Know About Confidence We Learned From These Siamese Cats
- This Cat Is Better at Jenga Than You Are, and Other Harsh Truths
- 5 Actionable Steps to Improve Your Bottom Line (Just Kidding! Here’s a Music Video About Kittens in Space!)
- Tips for Professional Development: Stop Working and Look at These Cats!
Learn more about your cat with Catster:
- I’m Willing to Bet That Your Cat Hates Her Litter Box — Here’s Why
- Weird Cat Facts: 8 Reasons Your Cat Likes to Lick You
- Our Best Tips for Getting Your Cat to Let You Sleep
About Angela: This not-crazy-at-all cat lady loves to lint-roll her favorite dress and go out dancing. She also frequents the gym, the vegan coffee joint, and the warm patch of sunlight on the living room floor. She enjoys a good cat rescue story about kindness and decency overcoming the odds, and she’s an enthusiastic recipient of headbutts and purrs from her two cats, Bubba Lee Kinsey and Phoenix.