Editor’s note: Have you seen the new Catster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting area of your vet’s office? This article appeared in our January/February 2017 issue. Click here to subscribe to Catster and get the bimonthly magazine delivered to your home.
Have you ever needed to make a fun yet creative dessert? Or been on your way to a dinner party and unable to find the perfect gift for your cat-loving hostess? Well, have no fear — catarons are here. This simple trick takes already lovely macarons to an elegant, feline level.
Note: These are for people only, not cats.
What you’ll need
- Macarons from your favorite bakery
- Edible markers
- Fondant — you can find this pre-colored at most craft stores or a candy that can be rolled out, such as a gummy, caramel, and so on.
- Rolling pin (you can also use your hand)
- Roll out your fondant or candy to 1⁄4-inch thick.
- Cut out triangle shapes for the ears.
- Press the triangles into the top of your macaron, between
- Use a toothpick to lightly press the cat ears into the
macaron filling to help them stick.
- Roll a tiny ball of fondant and press onto the macaron for the nose. Press firmly, but make sure not to crush your macaron — they can be delicate!
- Using the toothpick, shape into a triangle nose or any shape you like.
- Use the edible markers to draw on eyes, mouth, and whiskers.
Samantha Meyers is a writer, baker, crafter, and Instagrammer. Check out her blog at Sugared and Iced, and see her dogs’ Instagram adventures at @FrenchHuggs_ and @Quinnstadoodle.