American Shorthair
Picture of Floyd, a male American Shorthair

Photo Comments
Age: 8 Years   Sex: Male   Weight: 3 lbs.

[I have a diary!]  

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a treat for Floyd

Pretty Boy Floyd, Widdle Monkey or OOOps

Kitty Complexion:
sleepyvery active
not curiousvery curious
not vocalvery vocal

Sun Sign:
Quick Bio:
-mixed breed-pound cat-cat rescue

June 1st 2008

Red Tabby

Everything NEW!

He doesn't like going under the beds?

Favorite Toy:
Mommy hair twisties, the ball chasey ring w/cardboard on the floor thing, his doggie sister Trinity's quacky plush duck.

Favorite Nap Spot:
Rasals kitty bed, Cuddles kitty bed, curled up next to Trinity on my daybed, and curled up inside my sweater.

Favorite Food:
He loves all food, especially anything I put into my mouth. LOL

He knows how to make our Rockie 110 pound coonhound brother cringe it terror at 4 pounds of fur.


Arrival Story:
After our beloved Sierra passed and we were devastated, we went out to the SPCA to just visit with a friend that works there. When we found she wasn't at work that day, I headed back into the kitty area to give some lovin' to them all. While I was in there I noticed a kennel with 5 small kittens that weren't up for adoption yet. One kept calling to me, so I loved him up but noticed when anyone else came near him he went and hid at the back of the cage. We had to get home so I kissed him good bye telling him he would find a home soon. I wasn't really ready to take in a new baby after loosing my partner Sierra just two weeks before. After two more weeks passed Rob suggested for my early birthday presnt that we head out to the SPCA to donate some loving time to some of the dogs, but after getting out there I couldn't go into the dog area without crying. Sierra had picked us out from there many years prior, so again I headed in to love up the kitties. To my surprise the little red tabby was there and seemed to know me right off. Again I loved him up, but realized this time he was up for adoption. I didn't know what to do, so I jumped right from the frying pan into the fire and addopted him. We couldn't bring him home that Sunday, so we went back the next Wednesday after his nutering. He was so happy to see us he purred, rubbed, kissed and licked us like crazy. Floyd became our youngest child that day. :)

After bringing Floyd home and two days later he developed a three-fold illness. He had a cough, sneezing, was legarthic and also a high fever. He had even stopped eating and drinking water. We called the SPCA clinic ASAP that Friday to find it is closed Friday, Saturday and Sundays. In the paperwork it listed an emergency number to call in that 2 week grace period if he got ill, but it seems they had no vet on duty so we were told to take Floyd to our regular vet and they would cover the bill (which hasn't happened yet & 2 weeks later). Durring this time we had to keepour other babies seperated from little Floyd. I don't think he minded too much. Our regular vet wasn't in so his relief vet took over and she did an execlent job finding the problems with our tiny Little Boy Floyd. We were lucky Floyd took to the litter box so well and had taken in a sample to be tested. She found our poor boy Floyd had not only Bortadella, but a bad case of parasites. She gave his a shot and sent us home with antibiotics and a parasite/worming medication and three types of eye-droppers. For the next several days every two hours I had to give Floyd four droppers of water and twice a day antibiotics plus the one dropper of worming medication. He was amazingly good and stayed close to me the whole time. He continued to improve over the next week that on the following Thursday I called the vet to let her know his sneezing had stopped and his appetite had returned and was very playful and learning to get along with our other babies, or so it seemed... By Saturday morning the sheezing and cough had returned, his appetite had gone but at least he was still drinking water. We knew we would have just enough medication untill that next Monday morning (today) and called our vet ASAP to get him in again. After looking him over, another shot and more nose cleaning, tested for Lukemia/Aids that came out negative. YEAH! :) She sent him home again with us to care for him. Our other babies seemed happy he was home, and he's here with me tucked into my sweater sleeping. We just know he's going to make it. :) To be continued...

Lives Remaining:
9 of 9

Forums Motto:
Pretty Boy Floyd

I've Been On Catster Since:
August 4th 2008 More than 8 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Catster Id:

Meet my family

Meet my Feline Friends
See all my Feline Friends
See all my Feline Friends

Floyds Words

Feline better!

August 18th 2008 6:06 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Mommy said I better write a thank you note to all my friends for praying for me while I have been so ill. Today is the first real day I feel like a real kitty!

Thank you all for the prayers, from Floyd >^..^



August 13th 2008 11:29 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I got out from under the covers with Mommy and found I feel better than I have in weeks. The new medicine my vet had Mommy give me seems to work and tastes like tuna. YUMMMMM

I get to bounce all over the place and on my sister Trinity doggie. http://www.dogster.com/dogs/337295 ...and... torment my bigbrother Rockie doggie. http://www.dogster.com/dogs/115611

Mommy says she is so glad i'm feeling better she keeps smothering me with pets, loves and kisses. Daddy is gone alot and when he gor home for lunch, I got to pounce all over him too!

Sister Cuddles has been inside and outside today but played with me durring food time. Rascal plays only when he thinks Mommy isn't looking. I wonder why?

I must run off to attack Trinity and my play mouse. See you later! *POUNCEEEEEEEEEEEEE* *PURRRRSSSSS*

P.S. Can anyone explain how Daddy and Mommy can link my doggies at dogster to our family here at catster?


Mommy Update

August 12th 2008 2:32 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Floyd is too sick to update himself. He's tired and curled up in his daybed sleeping. He has been eating and drinking fine though.

It seems after yesterdays visit to the vet, she had to take additional tests (xrays and bloodwork). He was still running a fever still and has a tiny ulcerated lesion in his mouth.

Little Floyd has been on the same antibiotic for nearly 3 weeks, so she switched them. The xrays showed a pea sized lump above his adams-apple that looks like a swollen gland (which can happen in some upper respitory infections). His blood work shows an elevated white bloodcell count, but she feels its not unexpected. She agreed that this looks to be a resilant herpes type virus which can sometimes take a month or more to heal. He is also taking the last of his worming medications today.

The SPCA after speaking with them today, is uncoperative about the billing problem even though they were the ones to have us take him to our own vet 2 days after bringing him home. They are now saying that they don't believe that anything that continues especially after the 2 weeks, isn't their problem. However it does state in their contract we signed, anything medically wrong after 2 weeks is our responsibilty. The woman I spoke with wants all documentation from our vet, so their vet can go over the records to determine if in fact they owe us back anything.

We feel however, even though we might be wrong, the problem with Floyd and his high fever/infection and parasite problems developed almost imediately withing 2 days durring that 2 week period, and ought to be THEIR financial responsibility. Its almost as if they know they are sending out sick animals from this one facility, and don't want to be responsible. The one woman I spoke to even tried to point the finger at our own vet, claiming if she was a good vet Floyd would be well already.


She had also said that their SPCA clinic does ONLY VISUAL CHECKS on all animals that come in before adopting them out. I'd never heard of anything like that before, and we have adopted through that same shelter before (our old dog Sierra that passed away a few weeks ago).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to handle this problem with our SPCA shelter, we would really be thankful for the advice. We have always loved the SPCA and made regular donations to them for well over 30 years.

Floyd sends his love and thanks for all your prayers and little gifts. :)

See all diary entries for Floyd