Nicknames: Ico, Icon, .ico, New Guy, The Toothless Wonder, Stinky butt, Mr. Dirty Ears
Birthday: March 1st 2000
Coloration: Tabby and White
Likes: I like my new home much better then the animal shelter. I get tons of attention here. I like sleeping on the computer chair even though mom bought me my own cat-bed. I also like waking my humans up when I want attention. Licking plastic bags (yummy).
Pet-Peeves: Chloe (the resident cat) - she is half the size of Icon, but she bosses him around quite a bit. Does not like having his ears cleaned, and REALLY doesn't like having his nails (claws) clipped.
Favorite Toy: Any of Chloe's toys, especially the catnip balls, or a string, or shoe laces.
Favorite Nap Spot: Right now the favorite spots are on the computer chair, on a warm lap, or in the cat-bed.
Favorite Food: Iams Original, Catty Shack treats - will purr for food. Icon LOVES chicken and he likes licking plastic bags.
Skills: Head-butting and purring, meowing without actually making any noise, and making Chloe jealous. He hiccups when he is excited.
Arrival Story: Ico is the newest member to the household. He was adopted from an animal shelter March 6th 2006. He is a very brave cat. The first night in his new home he strutted around the bedroom to explore every corner. He didn't hide at all.
Hopefully he will get along with Chloe, so far their brief encounter was about 2 minutes of hissing. For now Ico is confined to the bedroom and is content with sleeping on the bed.
Bio: Ico is a very handsome, sweet guy who is 6 years old. He has a beautiful soft coat and he is a real charmer. He and his sister Maggie were dropped off at Peaceable Kingdom (a local animal shelter) by their owner. They moved out of state and the new partner is allergic to cats. So, the poor six year olds were given to a shelter where my boyfriend and I found him. Actually, I think it's fair to say he found us. The only thing we can't figure out is how he lost a tooth. One of the long teeth on the bottom is missing. It does not seem to bother him at all. He even prefers dry Iams food over the canned food. Go figure...
Tuesday, he saw Dr P - she's a first year doctor - but the diagnosis of spinal pain and bad constipation seemed logical for his symptoms (lethargic, little appetite, trouble walking, limp tail, pee'd in his cat bed). She sent him home with pain relievers and oral lube to help him "squeeze one out" which worked, but his condition declined so rapidly that by midnight he lost 50% of his motor coordination. His hind leg function deteriorated to the point that he couldn't stand or sit upright and he completely lost control of his bladder, then his bowels.
Wednesday morning, December 24 2008, he saw Dr M, and re-examined Icons vertebrae and its connections and determined that it is a neurological problem in his spinal cord. He has paraparesis and incontinence probably resulting from a tumor
or calcification that damaged the lumbar spine. Icon stayed at the Vet for a few nights over the holiday until he could see a vet that specializes in neurology.
On Friday, Dec 26 2008, I spoke to Dr M over the phone and he said that the medication wasn’t working – we had hoped Icon would improve with steroid shots for the paralysis – but his condition was getting worse by the hour. I wont describe his final moments, but on the recommendation of the Vet, Icon was helped to the Rainbow Bridge.
I definitely like the idea that Sunday’s are easy! The Evil Kitty outside does not have an easy Sunday - I heard an awful, dramatic, bonafide cat fight last night!! It was scary! Even from inside!!
Mia was so scairt when she heard the Evil Kitty screeching and yowling that she got all POOFY sitting on my mamas bed! I was laffin an laffin at her for getting all poofy! ha!! Katie didn’t understand what was happening because she’s never seen a real hissing, fur flying kind of fight. She’s used to hearing me hiss…. so I hope I don’t seem like a wussy wimp compared to the Evil Kittys outside who have real cat-fights.
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted Thursday 13. Here are a few things I’ve thought about recently, in no particular order…
1. I have been acting very snarky today. (because The Fosters were roaming around the house after dinner)
2. Kitten aged fosters are easier for me to tolerate than grown cats.
3. I might also be acting snarky because my ears are (secretly) itchy. I try not to let my mama see me scratching.
4. Earlier this week, I made a crop-circle. It was the first one in the new house!
5. Bond is very whiney when he comes downstairs. He walked from one chair to the next looking at the ceiling while he meowed.
6. Katie thinks Jitterbug will be a fun playmate.
7. He thinks she should stop hissing and start playing.
8. I chased Katie out of my Favorite Napping Spot a few times. I can’t help it if she keeps moving to another FNS, and I only want to nap there after I see her looking comfy.
9. I had my first hairball in the new house this week. I won’t tell you what day it happened, but mama didn’t find it till yesterday. Hehe
10. Mama keeps looking at petfinder & the Siamese Rescue sites, but swears she’s not actually “looking” for a cat.
11. Sometimes I miss Chloe. She was good for laughs and could always be counted on for doing something silly.
12. I wish I had thumbs so I could squirt the Fosters with the water bottle when they look at me.
13. Have a very nice Valentine’s Day!