Wondering if there are kitty mills?

Over on Dogster we hear a lot about puppy mills and how terrible they are to the poor pups that are just kept to have more and more puppies. The adults are auctioned off or worse when they are too old or have serious health problems. Most spend their entire lives in small, filthy cages. Most pet stores that sell puppies get them from puppy mills. So buying a pup from a pet store just puts money in the millers' pockets.

I was wondering, there probably are kitty mills too. We don't hear about them.
Are there places like that?

Asked by Member 201551 on Dec 8th 2009 in Breeds

Best Answer

Maggie

Agreed. I visited one myself that I would call a kitty mill when I was looking for my Ragdoll. Not quite the horrible conditions that you hear about with puppy mills in this case. But she had the cats in a separate building (not in her home), the mom and dad cats were kept in cages and the kittens were raised in cages. Litters year round and never a shortage of kittens to choose from. It smelled like cat pee the minute I opened the door. These cats were pretty clean and well fed, but starved for affection. To me they were being treated like livestock and that was unacceptable. I refused to support somebody who treats cats like that. Maggie is from a breeder who is also a vet who breeds only one or 2 litters a year. There is a Persian breeder or two that I have seen online that always seems to have kittens available and never show pics to brag about the parent cats. I strongly suspect they are pretty much kitty mills as well.

Maggie answered on Dec 8th.

Answers

Fox- R.I.P. I love you. :)

Yes, There Are Kitty Mills. ):

Fox- R.I.P. I love you. :) answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

Yep :(

And Rabbit mills, and bird mills, and all other animal mills :(

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Umesaburo

Kitty mills and backyard breeders give responsible breeders a bad name. You can Google "kitten mills" and see some gross photos. But sometimes it's hard to draw a line between a bad and a good breeder. One of the most famous Maine Coon catteries in Japan keeps each cat in a cage (which is actually required by law, but not everybody follows it). The premises are odorless and clean, but...how can you give 30+ cats the individual affection they need every day? On the other hand, studs are usually kept separate from the other cats, in a cage or separate room, or even a separate building. As for odor--it depends on how many cats there are and whether there's a resident stud. Most studs spray a strong-smelling urine, and you can't get rid of the odor completely. The best catteries, I think, have only a small breeding stock, and breed the queens only once or at most twice a year. Letting the kittens roam free after they are toilet-trained is a must for socializing them.

Umesaburo answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes unfortunately there are. Unless they are paired up with shelters like PetSmart any puppy or kitten in a pet store is almost certainly from a mill. Also many mills sell online and its easy to put up multiple legit looking sites to lure in unsuspecting customers.

The only way to put them out of business is to take their profits away. Adopt from a shelter or a breed rescue. If you want to buy a pedigree puppy/kitten go direct to a breeder and make sure they are legit and treating the breeding animals well. The other posters advice re checking out their showing etc is good. The kittens/puppies should always be with their mother in decent conditions. If they show you the kittens/puppies without the mother thats a red flag that they could have a mill out back with cruel/crappy conditions. Insist that they take you to where the mother is and if they won't then refuse to buy from them.