My cats are trying to adjust to each other.

I have a 4 year old female cat and I recenly brought home a 12 week old male kitten. The older cat is trying to adjust. She is no longer hiding and will stay in the same room as the kitten. Watching them, I can tell that the older cat is intrigued by the kitten. She will approach him and sniff him. When the kitten actually touches the older cat is when she will swat at him. When she feels like it she willm sit next to him and I have actually caught them sleeping on the bed together, not near each other though. It seems like she will go near him on her terms. If the kitten gets to playful, she gets agitated. It was been almost two weeks since I brought the kitten home. Is there hope that things will get better with the two of them?

Asked by Member 1127442 on Aug 25th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

It doesnt sound like there's a real problem here. Your older lady is acting perfectly normally with the baby. And, he expects to be "corrected" when he gets out of line with her. She's the boss. I don't believe she's actually "agitated" or upset, she's just letting the baby know he's close to overstepping his boundaries. He knows this, but like any little kid, he'll push the envelope. Izzie was sleeping last night and Lizzie came over and bopped him on the head. He's 17# and she's about 6. I could tell by the look he gave her that she understood he didn't want to play. It's a whole nother language that we humans don't understand. As long as your kids aren't attacking each other, fur flying, I wouldn't worry about it and just give them time.