My cats are infested with fleas and nothing will work to get rid of them!

I need some serious help. I've tried Frontline, Advantage, and Revolution. Last year alone I spent over $400 on flea "preventatives" and nothing worked.(I have two long hair cats) We bombed our house in November and I re-applied Revolution and a month later Advantage and nothing. My husband won't allow me to bomb the house again and he said I should get rid of the cats. I need help in order to save them!!!

Asked by Member 1153029 on Feb 1st 2013 in Flea & Tick Protection

Answers

Buddha

Have you discussed the problem with your vet? Your veterinarian should know which flea drops are working best to control fleas in your region. Vacuuming and steam cleaning carpets and laundering bedding, etc regularly will remove a lot of fleas. Also make sure you give an adequate dose of flea drops to be effective. Giving less than the recommended amount of flea drops for the animal's weight can result in the flea drops being ineffective or help the fleas become resistant to that product faster. I am finding that these past 2 years, Advantage II which used to stay effective for 5 to 6 weeks, now seems to lose effectiveness at about 3 weeks after application.

Every few months I spray the entire house with a spray I buy at the local hardware store called Enforcer Flea Spray for Homes. It has Nylar, an insect growth inhibitor that kills eggs and larvae for several months after the house has been sprayed.

Buddha answered on 2/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Buddah gives excellent advice. I would also suggest that you have a professional exterminator come out and asess your infestation. When we had this problem, this is what we did. They brought a crew of 3 exterminators and sprayed the house from top to bottom, INCLUDING the outside and around the foundation. When we had our lawncare company out to treat our lawn, they also sprayed for fleas farther away from the house. When you vacuum, put flea powder into the bag. Then, when you're finished, remove the bag and seal it in a garbage bag. It will prevent any still living fleas from escaping. It might also be worth it to take the kitties to a professional groomer and ask for their advice and a possible flea bath. Remember to also have the kitties tested for worms as flea eggs often lead to worm infestations. Good luck!

I have also found that the flea spray that they sell at the vet (sorry can't remember the name), it's expensive, like $28 a can, but it seems to be the only thing that works in the house. When we had this problem once, bombs didn't work, but this stuff did, and it didn't take much. We ended up taking out carpets and have Pergo floors now, and vacuuming like a maniac and keeping bedding clean seem to be the key. I agree with the person who said Advantage II is only seem to be working for 3 weeks. What a disappointment as it seemed to be the only thing that really worked for bad flea infestations.