My 3 year old spayed female cat pees on the couch. There are no medical issues. She is the youngest of 4.

She did this two years ago but we got her back in the box for almost 2 years. Feliway is beside the couch now. She is on Zylkene and Rescue Remedy I do NOT want her on prozac. 3 original boxes in their bathroom which re renovated in August. She had crystals in July, all gone. She started peeing then. We added three more boxes, one she loved for almost a month till the other cats started to use it. It is beside the couch. She is good for days, then pees on the couch likely when her box has been used.I keep them as clean as possible, clean several times a day. If I see her go to the couch I will spray her. Usually this happens overnight or when we are out. I can't isolate her or that one box. One of my males is blind so I can't put a chair across the couch. The cats all get along, the oldest male sometimes goes after her when she pees on the couch but rarely. They are on a raw diet mostly and healthy. Seems she wants her own box, but I can't make that work. There are two not used of 6.

Asked by Member 1143717 on Dec 5th 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

It really sounds like it's a mental issue with her, plus it's very difficult to rid anything of the smell of cat urine unless you have a professional cleaning so she could be returning there b/c the scent is still there. I have multiple cats also and Delilah is finicky about where she goes. I use a very large Rubbermaid underbed storage box as a litterbox. This gives all my cats their own "corner" of the box. (I have 3, one for each). Peeing seems to be an issue with her since your cat and you both "go after" her when she heads for the couch. She may be afraid the same thing will happen to her when she pees in the box. I keep my boxes in a closet, the most private place in my house. There is also "Cat Attract" litter you could try. Unless she has stopped using the box entirely or has other behavioral issues, cat anti-anxiety meds probably won't help. Since your vet knows your kitties, you might also want to chat with them for advice.