Simba

How serious are umbilical hernias?

4 days ago my 5 month old cat was neutered and had a umbilical hernia repair. Today while I was carrying him I noticed that the little bubble is back. Can umbilical hernias come back? Are they serious? I'm scared Simba will need surgery again, i don't want to put him through it again. He's due back to get his staples removed in 10 days, should I wait till then or take him in? Please advise.

Asked by Simba on Feb 1st 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Sometimes a little bit of fluid gets trapped after they repair the hernia and will leave a little fluid filled bubble. If you can push on it and the bubble goes back into the cat then the repair has opened up again. Depending on the size it shouldn't be anything super serious though, if it's just small then just try and keep him calm and not let him do anything too strenuous until he goes back for his staples. If its large, or causing him pain, it's probably best to get it checked out as soon as possible.