HutChi

Dandruff?

I found out my 5 months old kitten, Macaroni (domestic, medium hair), has white 'snow flakes' on his neck today. His appetite didnt change, still playful. I will be taking him into the vet tomorrow but I would like the know what you guys think? And any suggestions on fixing it? Saw some threads saying that their cats have dandruff because of changes.
So here are some of the changes I have made in this week:
1.) I live in Canada, it's summe and I have my air conditioner on (only when I'm at home)from 3 days ago.
2.) I dont have the ability to afford straight wet food for now, but I mix warm water into his food (from 4 days ago)
3.) Tried a new brush on him (from 2 weeks ago)

Also, anyone knows the differences between dandruff and dander?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
:h:

Asked by HutChi on May 30th 2012 Tagged dandruff in Grooming

Answers

Some cats. like some people, seem to be prone to that white flaking. It can be a sign of fleas, so when you go to the vets, ask them to check. My black kitty, Delilah, always has white flaking. I brush her as often as I can. I keep the brush she likes by my chair and whenever she gets up on my lap, I'll brush her as much as she'll allow. Some people advocate bathing your kitty once a week, but my cats and I have never been a fan of that, and it can make the situation worse.

I've copied & pasted the following from sites online:

Dander is an informal term for a material shed from the body of various animals, similar to dandruff. It is composed of skin cells. It is a cause of allergies in humans. Pet dander is generally worse in older animals than in younger animals, as older animals slough off more skin cells than younger animals. Dander is microscopic, and can thus be transported through the air. Through the air, dander can enter the mucous membranes in the lungs, causing allergies to some individuals.

Dandruff occurs when the skin cells form, die and flake off at an accelerated pace.

I ALWAYS have white flakes on me. I've had this problem for years. I eat good quality food, I get brushed. We're not sure exactly why. It doesn't bother me.

Your kitty may just have dry skin, but there is also a type of skin mite that resembles white flakes. It's called "walking dandruff" (really!), but I don't know how common it is.

Not a good idea to mix water into dry food - it encourages bacterial growth. Dr. Pierson of catinfo.org says even the cheapest canned food is better than an all-dry food diet; can afford feeding 1/2 can of Friskies or 9 Lives in the morning and a little dry at night?

Nika

You might try PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray. It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and will help with dry skin, itching, and dander. You can use it as often as needed so hopefully after the first couple of times, you'll start noticing a difference! It is definitely safe for a 5month old too. I hope this helps!

Nika answered on 6/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer