Close X


Tales of the Peekaboo Princess

Home Alone

June 27th 2010 7:19 pm
[ View A Comments (3) ]

Gunnie and I spent our first night home alone on Saturday. Mama got up early Saturday morning and went to be with daddy in Ft. Benton, Montana. Each summer the people of Ft. Benton put on Summer Celebration, a weekend of fun, food, entertainment, and SHOPSTERING! Daddy has been doing the craft show, called Art on the Levee, for about 20 years. He takes his big canvas trader's tent and all his woodworking, beads, and other stuff people like to buy and sets up at the edge of the park. Mama spends the day shopstering and watching the parade. Then mama and daddy have dinner and take a walk around the town. Ft. Benton is a quiet little town, and there are some very old houses there. Mama and daddy almost always find a house they think is, as Gunnie would say "way cool," but delapidated and talk about how they would fix it up. It is a fun game they play.

Sometimes mama and daddy have dinner at the Grand Union, a hotel that opened in 1882. It is very spensive, and mama and daddy were not impressed with the new chef the last time they ate there, so now they have a picnic instead.

Mama says Ft. Benton is probably the only place that people can "reserve" a roast chickie at the grocery store. Daddy usually orders a chickie on Friday when he gets to town and sets up. This year he called mama and said "no chickens." Mama was quite put out because the chickie man decided to go on vacation during Summer Celebration. Daddy decided mama should bring the barbecue, and they could cook their own dinner in the park. After the show, daddy closed up the tent, and he and mama started looking for a picnic table. Every single one except for a concrete one that was being used was gone, so mama and daddy barbecued and ate inside daddy's big tent. They laughed about how their dinner was done just the way they wanted. Now daddy's tent smells like Beer Baron sausages. YUM!!

At the end of the evening mama and daddy watched the fireworks. They shoot them off from an old bridge over the river, and it is a very, very spectacular show. Mama said just before the fireworks started, the moon started to show above the treetops. It was full or almost full, almost as golden as a harvest moon, and once it got above the treetops, it made a beautiful wave of light on the river.

There was a street dance going on until 1:30 a.m. Boy, those people in Ft. Benton sure know how to party. After that, mama and daddy were parked on a main "racing" street, and there were lots of people walking past on their way home from the dance. They were all happy because they had been having fun. Some of them were playing Marco Polo, and they were funny and made mama giggle. Mama had to come home to get some sleep.

Meanwhile, Grampster was supervising me and Gunnie. When mama talked to grampster, she asked if grampster saw me when he came to our house. He said yes, but I would not let him touch me. Mama asked if he loved on Gunnie. Grampster said "Yes, he DEMANDED it!" Poor Gunnie, mama always says he is a dog in cat fur.

When mama got home, she walked through the house looking to see if we had done anything naughty. We didn't do much; nothing that broke anything. We must have leaped on the ottoman and skidded on the top because the cushion was on the floor. The pillow on the chair was "askew," and the nice throw that was draped over the arm of the chair was in a heap on the floor. We didn't knock over any lamps or do potty naughties or anything, but we were very, very lonely while mama was gone. It was the very first time either of us slept without mama since we adopted her.

Gunnie and I talked it over. We decided mama catnot go anywhere without us anymore...not even to Summer Celebration.

Mama did bring us a present from Art on the Levee. It is a giant white bunny fur mousie with a leather tail (or is that tale?). Anyway, we fought over the toy. Mama would dangle it, and I would run over, but Gunnie would rush by me and grab the toy in his paws. Mama got on the phone and called daddy and asked him to get another giant mousie so Gunnie and I could each have a toy. That turned out to be a good idea because the white mousie is HUGE, and he is already missing in action. Mama catnot find him anywhere, and we are not telling where we put him. So, until we find our white mousie or daddy brings the new mousie, we are giant mousie-less.

Purred by: KIBBLES (Catster Member)

June 28th 2010 at 6:11 am

We don't like it when we are left along during the day sometimes. We can't image not having our family all night!
Hope your pawrents don't go away over night again. Have a great day.

Love, Kibbles, Francis, & Yoda
Purred by: Arlene S

June 28th 2010 at 9:00 am

I'm glad Mommy can't go anywhere and leave us alone. I wouldn't like that and would be naughty if she did so you and Gunnie were very good.
One mousie was not a good idea with 2 kitties...MOL Where did you hide it, Peekie?
Purred by: Edgar ~ Precious Angel (Catster Member)

July 4th 2010 at 2:39 pm

Sounds like your parents had a lot of fun! I'm sorry they couldn't get their roast chicken though.

You kids seem to be purrty good while they were gone. :~) But I agree with the plan to not let your mommy go anywhere without you again. If you figure out how to manage that, purrlease let me know! I hate it when my mommy leaves!




Family Pets

Gunnarr T
Miss Muppet
Forever Loved


(What does RSS do?)