Levi

Should We Adopt a Cat for the Flower Shop? Yay or Nay?

..my meowmy (Melissa) is trying to convince HER mama (whom she works with in a family flower shop) that the SHOP needs a cat. I know of a good many shops who DO have one.. based on the old 'barn cat' theory.. that where there's a cat, there are no mice.. We really, REALLY think its a good idea.. They literally spend more time at work than they do at their own homes.. and it's a family atmosphere.. what do ya'll think?

Asked by Levi on Jul 2nd 2012 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

A shop kitty is a great idea, but in a flower shop you'll have to keep a close eye on the cat. Many flowers and plants are toxic to felines, and even the ones that aren't often make kitties throw up. And it can be hard to sell a flower that's been nibble on.

There are very few flowers that are NOT toxic to cats so I don't think that a flower shop is necessarily a good place for a cat although I agree with your thought process that a cat would keep down the mice population. Many of the poisonous plants are not even thing you would normally think of. For example, I always thought that my favorite flower, the carnation, was safe but it is not. www.aspca.org

Thomas

Having a kitten in the shop is a good idea. Not only does it bring customers but it keeps the mice and other rodents away. Although, in a flower shop the kitten can knock over flower pots and other flowers.

Thomas answered on 7/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lex

As great as it sounds, the most common of flowers are toxic to cats, so you would need to keep a super close eye on the cat, all day, every day, and that is not easy... You dont want a kitty suffering because of something silly like eating a lilly ;)

Lex answered on 7/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Batfink

Thats a lovely idea! In the town where i work we have a cat called Hamish that travels to and sleeps in all the local shops, its a lovley sight and a great life for a cat,hes basically a celebrity and has his own ''facebook'' page. Hes not a stray though he has a very loving owner.

The risk from the cat nibbling on flowers is a problem,someone would have to supervise him or her all the time.

Keep us posted!

Batfink answered on 7/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer