Would a vet be able to do tests to see if my cat has been vaccinated?

My cat is 8 years old. He was a stray about a year and a half ago, but was rescued. The shelter I got him from only had him in their facility for a week because he had been with a foster parent for a year before that. I got him that week that he was in the shelter. Well the foster mom was not very good. I don't know if Mac got vaccinated or not. Would the vet be able to tell if he's been vaccinated? I am looking into this because I may have to move back to the States and he would need to have records to prove he's been vaccinated.

Asked by Member 755692 on Dec 25th 2008 in Vaccinations

Answers

Vaccinations are only good for a year. Most vets, when presented with a formerly stray cat or one that's been in a shelter that does not keep reliable vaccination records will simply revaccinate. Since you will need current vet records to bring your kitty back into the States, I would just go ahead and have him revaccinated (and maybe microchipped?) and make sure you get legible, precise records. I believe there are blood tests that can be done to check for anti-bodies, but it would probably be cheaper just to have him revaccinated.

If it's unknown whether the cat has been vaccinated or not, the veterinarian will usually just revaccinate ( it's a relatively safe procedure ).

But your veterinarian can also do what's called a "titer test" that tell you whether your cat NEEDS to be vaccinated or not. Rabies vaccines are a legal requirement, but other vaccines shouldn't be given unless the titer test results say it should be given. For a cat to be vaccinated every year would be overvaccinating which can actually surpress the immune system rather and building it. Also, new holistic studies are showing that puppies and kittens should not get ANY other vaccines besides rabies once they have completed their puppy/kitten shots due to surpressing of the immune system. Just some food for thought.