Will neutering stop my tom's spraying?

Ok, in my house, there are 2 cats, Me (a black tom) and Amy (a gray poly queen). We are 11 months old, and Amy is in season, and mom seperated us, since I haven't been to the doc's yet to get snipped.
I'm making quite a nuisance of myself, and I sprayed mom's bed, she hasn't been able to sleep in her room for almost a week! If I don't stop soon, and for good, I'll have to find a new home!! Would getting me fixed stop the spraying? I know it takes a month for the hormones to wear off, but will I continue to spray after that if I've already started?

Would getting fixed help my mom to keep me? Or will I continue to spray even after the surgery & hormones wear off?

Please help us!!

Asked by Member 351678 on Feb 12th 2008 Tagged spraying, castrating, neutering, tom in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Sam

Short answer; YES. Being neutered should stop the spraying. I would have recommended doing it earlier (6 months), because now you might also need some behavioral work, but at your age it should stop if you're neutered.
Absolutely do not get rid of this cat for spraying because you didn't get him neutered yet. Yes, the spraying should stop with the neutering, but all kitties will develop behavior problems over their lifetime and as their parents, we made committments to them that we would work through this kind of stuff. Sam sprayed when I first got him, because he had just been neutered (we found him on the street). It took about two weeks for him to stop and he has literally never done it since. If he continues to spray after the neuter please post on the Training and Behavior forum.
Both of them need to be fixed ASAP. Girls can also develop medical problems from being unspayed (cancer, infections) and they can spray too.

Sam answered on Feb 12th.

Answers

Unless your mom is a professional breeder, we think the best thing for all of you all the way around is for you and Amy to be fixed. It's not possible to watch over you every second of every day, and if you do mate, that's at least 4 and probably more unwanted kittens. At least 90% of your spraying is due to the fact that Amy is in season and you are not fixed. It's not fair to make you look for a new home because you are only doing what comes naturally, protecting and marking your turf and "your woman". Mommy needs to step up and get the snip-snip for both of you.

Agreeing that both those babies need to be fixed so that you don't have even MORE babies.

Oscar J. is neutered and we don't have a spraying problem.