Will neutering my 1 y/o male cat stop him from spraying?

My male cat is close to a year and just started spraying, but only in his litter box. We recently brought in a 4 month old puppy close to a month and a half ago. Could this be the reason for his spraying? Please help! The smell is embarrassing when company comes. I don't want to have to put my cat outside. He has never been outside.

Asked by Member 595619 on Feb 24th 2008 Tagged spraying, newpet, litterboxspraying in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

Only in his litter box? Then he's doing good. Maybe you just need to do a better job of cleaning it. Scoop it out once or twice every day (or when needed). Change the litter completely every month. It could also be the brand of litter you use. Fresh Step works great. It's what was mostly used for Tinker Bell.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Your kitty could be doing it to mark his territory, and the pup could be the reason. Neutering will definitely help plus it's the responsible thing to do. Putting him outside won't stop his spraying when he comes back in, plus putting an intact male kitty outside will add to the population of unwanted kittens in your neighborhood and not make you very popular with your neighbors. Intact males pick fights with other cats, use neighbors yards for potties and howl when there's a female in heat around. And, they can get hit by cars, injured in the fights they pick and be attacked by dogs and coyotes. So,putting him outside not a solution. Neuter him first and ask your vet what they think about the pup versus the spraying. If you're tempted to put him out, please consider rehoming him first.

Sam

A one year old male cat should absolutely be neutered and not just because of the spraying (which should stop). Not neutering puts cats at risk for cancer and infections. It also makes their urge to roam stronger, so he has a higher chance of getting out of the house and getting into a fight with another cat or being hit by a car.
Both of my boys calmed down a lot and turned into big old love bugs after their neuters (both were strays before we got them, so had never been neutered).

Sam answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Valentine

I think that having a kitten neutered/spayed is a good idea. I have a boy and girl kitten, (of course I'd love more kittens, but I know I couldn't give them enough),so I had both fixed. When I went to the Vet, he told me a lot of information, including that it can reduce the risk of a male cat spraying. Maybe the new puppy is part of the reason why he's doing it, immitation. But in the long run, most male cats spray on their own. Personally I think it'd be a good idea. Talk to your veterinarian first, and make sure to ask any and all questions that you may have.

Valentine answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chase

That's good that he's only doing it in his litter box. No, I don't think the puppy is making him spray. It's just a natural thing they do. The only way to stop it is getting him neutered. Don't worry, you don't have to put him outside if you get him neutered. Once it's done, it's done, and you won't have to even think about him spraying ever again. :)

Hope this helps. >^..^<

Chase

Chase answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oscar J.'s neutered and we don't have a spraying problem. Plus it makes them healthier in the long term. It's a win-win. :D