Zoe

Will my kitten have blocked tear duct forever?

Zoe is four months old. She has no history of illness even before I adopted her at 5weeks. After her trip to the vet for her 2nd round of boosters she came down with a cold most likely herpes virus. She sneezed excessively for two days but recovered quick after I started lysine supplements. Ever since this cold however her left eye constantly waters clear. I took her to the vet & he did a stain test and then treated it for 1 week with neomycin steroid. It dripped a little less but after treatment came back. Her vet then told me to let it go. She was just spayed yesterday & I asked that while she was out he do an eye flush. He called after surgery & said the flush was unsuccessful because the tear duct is blocked from inflammation & her eye will be running clear for most likely the rest of her life. I feel hopeless. Has anyone else experienced this with their cat? Can I do anything to calm the inflammation and hopefully open the tear duct back up? Thanks in advance!!

Asked by Zoe on Jul 26th 2011 Tagged eye, tearduct in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Dixie

i would take her to a different vet and get a different perspective of it tear ducts can be opened back up doctors do it every day with us humans so why cant a vet do it to a kitten take her to another vet it sounds like your vet now has never experienced something like this before a different vet needs to look at her eye and decide what is best and how to unblock the tear duct but if her eye is running clear i would think that her tear duct is not blocked but i could be wrong she may have an ulcer in her eye and it needs to be treated before it gets severe

Dixie answered on 7/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cats are Persians and leaky eyes is just a fact of life with my breed. I wipe their faces with a warm wet cloth daily. There is a procedure to correct blocked tear ducts in more severe cases but what your vet may be saying is that the results do not justify the risks if her leaky eye is not causing any real harm. Clear tears are harmless and it's only when it is goopy or greenish gunk that I would worry. I would consider getting a second opinion from a vet that specializes in cats if you do not believe that your vet has done all that he can. You don't have to change vets, it's just like getting a second opinion from a human doctor. I did it when I felt one of mine had been misdiagnosed and fell in love with the high tech professional treatment at the new place which made my vet look like a joke. Just explain that you want a second opinion and they will need to see records for what was already done.

Lamont had a blocked tear duct, probably due to a URI, and it finally cured itself after a year. Mind you, the vet gave him an eye flush and a pessimistic prognosis. I am very happy about this, as I plan to sell him after this year's show season, and I would be reluctant to sell a cat with a physical defect. Lamont is Leila's son and doesn't have a page on Catster.