will a cleaning help my cat's rotting teeth?

my senior cat's teeth are slowly rotting, wearing down and falling out. my vet prescribed antibiotics and said we should have his teeth cleaned. I am afraid to have my 16 year old cat endure anesthesia and am not convinced this will help at all. can anyone tell me that a cleaning would actually help rotting teeth?

Asked by Member 944017 on Jun 25th 2012 Tagged seniorcathealth, dental in Dental Care

Answers

Yes! Modern nesthesia is much safer than it used to be. Allow your vet to do pre-surgical bloodwork to screen for any potential problems with anesthesia. I know it's scary to put a 16 year old cat through anesthsia... but it is for the best. Rotting, infected teeth are extremely painful. Cats are excellent at hiding pain. He will feel much better after having his dental issues addressed and the bad teeth pulled. Dental infections can also spread to the kidneys and heart. There is always some risk with anesthesia, but in this case I think the potential benefit is probably worth the risk. Your vet should also be willing to discuss your concerns with you.

He's probably going to have to have those rotting teeth removed during the procedure.