Hae Yu

why would my cat's belly be hanging?

She was spayed and had a seroma, which was supposed to be all better. It is now about 5 months later and I see her little belly swinging and it feels like a pouch.

Asked by Hae Yu on Apr 7th 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Mozza (forever loved)

I'm not experienced with seromas to give you as helpful an answer as I'd like but I can give you a few ideas.

Normally, the seroma should have gone by now. It can happen as a reaction to the suture material used or from Hae Yu being overly active after her spaying. But it's rarely serious. Still, 5 months is a long time.

Is it possible that what you see & feel isn't just loose skin? A true belly flap is common with many cats & more so with certain breeds. It's thought to be protective so when they fight & kick hard at each other's bellies, they won't be disemboweled. In fact, the belly flap is a standard required trait in judging of a couple of breed.

With Hae Yu, if you touch her flap, does it cause her any discomfort? Does it feel warmer than her chest? Does it just feel loose or does it feel like it's swollen with fluid? If the answers are all no, I'd not be too concerned. If any are yes, phone the vet to have her checked. Even if all are no, phone to put your mind at ease.

Mozza (forever loved) answered on 4/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Delilah, who looks alot like Hae Yu, (clever name!!) also has a belly flap. Oddly enough, my boy cats don't. Others on this board have asked questions about this "poochie" and been told it's perfectly normal for this extra skin. However, Mozza is right. At any time if you EVER have questions about your dear baby's health or anything going on with them, don't ever hesitate to call their doc. No question is silly to them, and if they treat you like it is, find a new doc. Izzie's doc is the greatest and always takes time to explain EVERYTHING to me. She'll even have her vet tech send me information after our conversations on whatever we discussed so I have it in writing. I have the feeling that Hae Yu's little belly pouch is perfectly normal and just part of your baby growing up!