Why would a cat continually scratch her own nose? The wound has almost healed before...

Maggie Kay had a small scrape on the bridge of her nose about a year ago. She scratched it as it was healing and it shifted around to different locations towards either side or up or down on the furry part of her nose. The vet wanted to exhaust all options so even though an indoor cat, we treated her for fleas and mites. (No sign of either.) When that didn't work, I took her back and we put her on a daily steriod Prednisolone 10 mg/ml Chicken Suspension once a day for 6 weeks. Then when that bottle was gone and it was mostly healed, she scratched herself again. I took her back and they put her on more Prednisolone and we switched her food to allergen-free duck/potato blend. After this month, she was clear of any wound and new hair was growing back. Then when she was off of the Prednisolone, she re-wounded herself by scratching. That was early spring. I took her back and the vet said she thought that she might have feline herpes and prescribed Abreva twice a day. No success! Help!

Asked by Member 1116873 on Jun 21st 2012 Tagged catwound, nose, scratching in Skin Problems

Answers

I think it might be time for you and Maggie to visit a specialty or "referral" vet clinic. These clinics are staffed with board-certified vets who specialize in one thing, say opthamology, gastroenterology, feline/canine cancers, dermatology, etc. It's like when you or I go to a specialist when our primary care provider can no longer help. Ask your vet if there is one of these clinics close-by and if they would please write you out a referral.

And please try to avoid steroids. They can cause diabetes and other serious problems.