why wont my three week old kitten poop?my three week old kitten is healthy but wont pee or poo.Not that I've seen.Why?

My little kitten is healthy he is three weeks old but why won't he poop.He eats fine but I haven't seen him poop or pee?Why is this?

Asked by Member 981385 on Apr 13th 2010 in Kittens

Answers

Airel

My question is how is it that you have a 3 week old kitten . At that age he should be still with his littermates and mom . Kittens really shouldn't be separtated from them until 7 weeks of age . Is he litter trained ? And if not where is he really going to the bathroom , that is the question . Does he have the run of the house , or is he in one room when left alone . Does he know where his litterbox is ?

Airel answered on 4/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hilo

Kittens at this age are too young to have voluntary control over their own bowel movements (pooping or peeing). It'll take another week or 2 before it gains control. You're going to have to "stimulate" its genitals with a warm, damp cottonball or washcloth. Hold your kitten over a pee pad, sink or toilet & start to massage its genitals (mother cats do this by licking with their tongue). Be very gentle! It takes some patience and your kitten will probably cry & complain. You can use a gentle wiping motion & kitten should have urine or feces coming out. If nothing happens, try filling up your sink with lukewarm water & rubbing its bum area. Don't rub too hard, though! If kitten has trouble going, I urge you to consult a vet right away. I adopted my Hilo at 2 weeks last May & have lots of experience having to help him "go."

Hilo answered on 4/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

BUSTER

I had the same problem when I saved some feral kittens...they didnt have their momma to do what she would normally do and their poor bellies looked like bloated ticks......my vet told me to wet a paper towel in warm water and rub over their genitals(a few times a day).......IT WORKED!! as the momma cat would normally do this till they went on their own Its no more gross than changing a baby after a few days, I fast learned to hold them over the potty..Good Luck with your baby kitty.

BUSTER answered on 4/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the other posters. You have a really young kitten that under different circumstances would still be with momma.

Momma cats "groom" their babies to help them potty. They lick them to get them to go. You can probably simulate this same motion and help the baby out.