why is my kitten's stomach bloated? He eats regularly(every 3-4 hrs).

He is about 3 weeks old and he is an orphan by himself. He doesn't cry abnormally but he does sleep a lot. I am feeding him Purina wet food and he does still drink out of a bottle. He drinks about 1/4 oz of food and 1/2 tablespoon of milk. His stomach looks a little bloated.

Asked by Member 872821 on Aug 31st 2009 Tagged food, care, toys, bath in Kittens

Answers

Other Catsters know far more than I do about the care of orphan kittens, but I am on my second litter of Maine Coons, and kittens that young (you really meant 3 weeks, not 3 months, right?) spend all their time either nursing or sleeping. If the kitten is getting a substitute for Mama's milk, and is actually eating wet food, then he is in the weaning stage. I hope you're using kitten milk (KMR) instead of cow's milk, which doesn't agree with most cats. Other options are soaking dry kitten kibble in slightly warm KMR to make it soggy and easy to eat. As for the bloated stomach, my own breeder tells me that I shouldn't worry about my kittens' nutritional status if they seem relatively lively (by which I mean, crawling around and such) and have a nice, rounded belly. Your kitten could also have worms. When in doubt, a vet trip is in order. If you don't have a vet yet, get one now (you might have to shop around), because he'll need his shots and neutering. Good luck.

Gracie

I think Leila did a pretty good job answering your question. Like she said, a vet visit is not a bad idea for this kitten. Orphans in general are more fragile than kittens who still have their mom, so having a regular vet and lots of preventive care is going to be key in ensuring his survival.

Gracie answered on 9/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kitty Pryde

I adopted my first kitty, who was an orphan also, at about 4 weeks-I got her right from outside. She had a bloated belly, but was eating her food. When I took her to the vet, they wanted to do a fecal test and deworming because they said that could be a sign of parasites. Like the others who answered said-a trip to the vet is a great idea. Plus, you want to get your little guy started on his vaccines. Good luck with your new baby boy!

Kitty Pryde answered on 9/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Sam

I agree with the others it may just be worms. The best place to get a good dewormer is the vets and it's good to get a check up too. Some OTC (over the counter) drugs can be harmful if purchased elsewhere.

♥Sam answered on 9/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer