Why is my kitten so aggressive towards my other cat?

I have a 14 week old male cat named Beaux who has just been introduced to a 6 week old kitten named Riley. Riley is very sweet and cuddly on her own, but when around Beaux, she hisses and shrieks and growls incredibly loud. Beaux is a very gentle cat and doesn't pounce on her, just approaches her. Even if he is within ten feet of her, she starts to growl and hiss. What is her problem with him? The shrieks are driving me crazy and I don't know how to get her to stop. Any advice would be incredibly helpful --- Thanks!

Asked by Member 1146039 on Dec 20th 2012 Tagged kitten, aggression, introduction, noisy, behavior, training in Aggression

Answers

Cecilia

Kittens as young as Riley have no developed their social skills yet. Because of the difference in size Riley may simply feel threatened or scared. I think the best thing to do in this situation is to wait it out and use gentle non-threatening exposure techniques. Let Riley see Beaux from across the room but don't force interaction. Let her smell a blanket or toy that belongs to Beaux. Baby steps will work best here. Weeks 8-12 are the prime socialization time for a kitten. Good luck!

Cecilia answered on 12/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer