why is my cat's lower lip suddenly lost fur?

I have two cats, they are sisters. They both eat and drink the same thing. I've checked them for fleas or ticks but I don't see anything. Help - I'm worried.

Asked by Member 1079015 on Dec 21st 2011 Tagged baldspot, lowerlip, losingfur in Health & Wellness

Answers

If we were to list every skin disease that cats get, we'd use up all of our 1,000 characters! Check her lip itself for things that look like zits. Sometimes when cats eat out of plastic dishes, they get these little breakouts. It's not serious and can be cleared up by the vet. It's possible that her lip itches and she's rubbed the fur off. In any case, if it gets worse, a vet should take a look at it and make sure it's nothing that will spread. Don't use any human creams or salves on it without the advice of a vet. You don't want her ingesting anything that could cause her to become ill.

Thumper

Your cat could just be allergic to something considering that she's just losing fur on her lip. It's most likely a medicine, food, or something in her environment such as mold, dust, plastic (most cats can't eat out of plastic bowls so check for pimple like things) or a type of grass. It all depends on how much fur she's losing. If she's losing large clumps then she might have a common skin condition called alopecia. It's nothing serious; it's not something the vet can't help with. By the sound of it, she doesn't have "inside parasites" like types of worms so you don't have to worry about that. So try to figure out what your cat might allergic to, because sisters can have some differnces.

Thumper answered on 12/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer