Why is my cat shedding flakes?

I have had to change my bedspread every night this week because my cat leaves white and black specks (similair in texture to sand) all over anything he lays on. I have not changed his diet since he switched from kitten to cat and I have always allowed him to groom himself.

Asked by Member 764320 on Nov 7th 2008 in Skin Problems

Answers

If you notice that your cat is also scratching, or that YOU are scratching then check him for fleas. The best place is at the back of his neck, on his face or on his stomach if you can flip him over. What you are describing are flea eggs (the white "flakes") and flea poop (the black stuff). If you DO notice fleas, get Frontline or another flea preventative from your vet. The flea drops/collars you buy over the counter don't work. You will also need to bleach your bedding and power vacuum your home. Get a flea spray from the vets and spray your rug. Discard the vacuum bag because just vacuuming doesn't kill the fleas, just takes them for a crazy wild ride and they crawl right back out. Also, if it isn't a flea infestation, then your vet can diagnose what else it might be.

Xena

I think Izzie is right. You can confirm this by putting some of the black specks on a piece of wet tissue. If the tissue turns red/pink around the specks thats flea poop.

As well as the Frontline you should also get some stuff to spray on your bed, carpet and furniture where you cat sleeps. a god one is DeFlea that you can get at Petco or Petsmart. I've used it before and its really good and kills eggs and fleas.

Xena answered on 11/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer