Why is my cat pooping outside the litter box?

My long-haired cat is nearly 11, & has recently started pooping outside the litter box. He still pees in the litter, but poops on the floor. He first started doing it on the carpet in the spare room, so I kept the spare room door closed. He went back to the litter box for a few weeks, then started pooping in the hallway or under the coffee table (both carpet). I have not changed the type of litter at all, & keep the box clean every day, but it hasn't helped. We are moving to a new house in a month, & we don't want the cat pooping all over the new carpets. Is there anything I can do, or is this an age-related thing that can't be corrected?

Asked by Member 725049 on Sep 3rd 2008 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Henry (1996-2010)

Have you taken a look at his bum? The only time one of my cats went outside the box is when he didn't want to set his bum on the rough litter to poop, and it turned out he had an anal gland infection. Is he digging in the box even to pee? If not, check his feet. Maybe a sore on his foot is prohibiting covering his poopie, and he'd just rather not do it in the box.

Either that, or he can tell you guys are getting ready to move and he's getting anxious.

Before you move take him to the vet to give him a complete check up to make sure everything is OK.

Henry (1996-2010) answered on 9/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree. Cats are keenly aware of their environment, and can tell when changes are about to occur. One of the first things that they do is change their bathroom habits when they get stressed.

Luna

It is possible your cat might have an infection, or is simply not comfortable pooing on the uncomfortable litter. Talk to your vet and have him check for an infection of any kind.

Luna answered on 11/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer