Why is my cat pooping on the carpet infront of me?

My cat Jasper is oddly intelligent. what i dont understand is this continuing issue he has with pooping outside of his litter box. I dont know if it's because he's angry or something emotional. When i was in college we lived alone, just him and I. He always waited in the window for me, he didnt like people staying late, and he had to be close to stare at me. When I was out late for my Rehursals I'd come home to find poo. Sometimes I wouldn't know why. I aquired a new kitten when i moved home and I asumed his pooing issues was because of her using his litter so we got 4 litter boxes. Then I had to leave for a year and he stayed with my parents still having issues. It's now almost been a year since i came home and still he poos. I watch TV, he makes eye contact with me and then poos, I dont let him in the Tv room, he poos in a nother room. Usually he does it when i work late i just dont know how to stop it! He has no health issues the 4 boxes are clean and some times he does use the box

Asked by Member 962404 on Feb 10th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Harvey

Hmm. First I'd suggest a vet check just to make sure that he doesn't have any health problems. Having so many litter boxes (and I assume that you keep them clean) means that you're being responsible. I'm not a vet or an animal behavioralist, but since I have one cat (Harvey) who poops on my things (handbag, cell phone, etc.) when feeling insecure, I would guess it's a behavioral issue. Is there any way you could employ an animal behavioralist? If not, the Internet is full of resources--Catster is excellent, but there are other sites out there. Google something like "cat inappropriate elimination" and that will give you a start. Also, why not join Catster and participate in the Behavior and Training Forum? Here, we're limited to short answers, one answer per cat. On the Forums, you'll get lots of opinions and advice. Good luck.

Harvey answered on 2/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Tasha ♥

It's common for cats with medical problems to begin eliminating outside of their litter box. For example, a urinary tract infection or crystals in the urine can make urination painful—and both are serious conditions that require medical attention. Cats often associate this pain with the litter box and begin to avoid it. So if your cat has a house-soiling problem, check with your veterinarian first to rule out any medical problems. Cats don't always act sick, even when they are, and only a trip to the veterinarian for a thorough physical examination can rule out a medical problem.

If you can rule out a medical problem, you should check out this website for more suggestions on how to solve the problem: catinfo.org

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 2/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer