Why is my cat peeing on my children's blankets?

My cat never has had a problem with using her litter box until we moved into a different home. We have lived here for 4 mths and she suddenly has to pee on my kid's blankets and various cloth toys. It is very frustrating since I have had to throw away numerous items.

Asked by Member 821933 on Apr 1st 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Ruckus

She is telling you something is wrong. Stress may have contributed to a physical problem that was just beginning to bud. Something that was barely tolerable before might now be an issue.

A vet needs to check her out, not just for urinary problems, but from nose to tail. Don't be satisfied with "moving stress" as an answer.

Make sure her new environment doesn't involve exposure to anything she may be sensitive to (flame retardant treatments, plastics outgassing) .

If nothing is found, THEN look for emotional stressors like anxiety, fear, and loneliness.

Meanwhile, jettison the dry food and feed her the best canned food you can afford ... good advice for all cats. See www.catinfo.org and www.healthypetjournal.com

Google sources for X-O, SCOE-10X, and Zero Odor. They are some of the few formulas that actually work for removing odors.

Ruckus answered on Apr 1st.

Answers

Sounds like she is reacting to the new environment - cats are very sensitive to changes in their environment - she is marking. There are enzymatic cleaning solutions available on the market for removing pet urine stains - you will want to thoroughly clean all the areas where she has urinated so she doesn't become more confused. Try to catch her in the act and promptly put her in her litter pan. It's almost like you have to retrain her in a way. It should pass - be patient. I would refrain from reprimanding her - she is not aware that her behavior is wrong. Just firmly assert where she is expected to go - she will catch on. Good luck.

There are usually two main reasons why a cat will stop using it's litter box. One is stress and the other is a health issue. You should absolutely take her to the vets to rule out a urinary infection or other concern, but I'd be willing to bet she's not using her box because of the move. Are you sure she knows where it is? Have you shown her, picked her up, put her in it and praised her? You can also set up more boxes around the house so she has no problem finding one. When she becomes reliable, you can move back to one or two boxes. Absolutely don't punish her. She is trying desperately to get used to her new "territory" and all the new smells and sounds that accompany it. She may be "marking'. In addition, you may be too busy to pay much attention to her and she's letting you know. I would suggest that before you change her diet to something she may not like, you check with your vet first for their advice. They are always your first authority on your kitty and what should be done.