why is my cat biting herself all the time and leaving big sores

i have a 4 yr old calico female cat and a 4 yr old grey tiger cat. the calico cat seems to get sores all over her body and head about this time of year and lasts up to 3 months then seems to go away. they do scab over. They have no fleas that i can see because i check them frequently. also my grey tiger cat is losing/ has lost some hair near her hind quarters and tail area. any suggestions. also they are inside cats and do not get around other animals. and they have always eatten the same food all their lives.

Asked by Member 650912 on Jul 8th 2008 Tagged biting, scatching, sores, yroldcatsbehavior, habit, help, cats in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Bella (In Loving Memory)

It sounds to me like allergies are to blame, which you seem to suspect. However, I'm not convinced that its not FAD (flea allergy dermatitis). I know you say that you see no fleas but it only takes a single bite for your kitty to have a reaction to it . Your cat doesn't have to "have" fleas to be bitten by one and even if they're indoor all the time a flea could catch a ride indoors on your shoe.

It could just be seasonal allergies though. I would advise having them seen by a vet. They will probably elect to give your babies a shot to help with the inflammation and itch and possibly prescribe you some oral antihistamines.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 7/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You may want to have your vet check for ringworm, also, as it can flare up during the summer months...

This answer has nothing to do with your question, really, but "calico" and "grey tiger (tabby)" are just cat colors, and as far as I know, color distinctions have nothing to do with skin problems. At least, this is true for plain old housecats, or domestic short hairs, as they are properly called, and I assume that is what your cats are.