Why is my cat balding in spots?

She is 1 and 1/2 years old, and we just adopted her from a shelter about 3 weeks ago. She seems extremely nervous, but has calmed down a great deal. I noticed a bald patch on her front leg, then I noticed the patch getting bigger over the span of a week and a half. Now I've noticed another bald patch on her belly. The skin isn't irritated, and I never see her biting or licking in those areas excessively. She also does not have fleas. I don't see clumps of her hair around either.

Asked by Member 895160 on Sep 29th 2009 Tagged balding, patches in Health & Wellness

Answers

Cats can have a long laundry list of skin conditions. Stress can also cause hair loss as can diet. Your best bet is to take her to a vet for an examination, which isn't a bad thing to do anyway since you just adopted her. She needs to have a vet on board for vaccinations when she needs them, well-kitty check-ups and for you to call or visit for things just such as this skin condition. Hair-loss down to the skin is not normal for a kitty and she needs to be checked by a vet.