Why is my Bengal not using her litterbox?

A few weeks ago, my female, spayed, 6 month old Bengal pooped right under my piano in the living room. I picked it up and sprayed it with deoderizing pet spray. Yesterday, I came home and found another pile of poop beside the couch. This morning I woke up to the sound of my kitten peeing between my husband's dresser and the wall. What is going on? How can I get her to stop going outside the litter box? We've only had her for a month and a half, and she's done this 3 times now!

Asked by Member 803180 on Feb 11th 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Make sure her litter box is clean. Some cats are more or less picky than others, but cats won't use a box they think is too "well-used."

Another thing to consider, if there are other cats in your household, some cats won't share litter boxes with other cats.

If the above considerations don't apply, take her to the vet to rule out urinary tract infection (UTI) or other health issue.

If the vet gives her a clean bill of health, you may need to reinforce or go back to square one with litter training.

Pick up a copy of a tiny, little book called "How to Toilet Train Your Cat" by Paul Kunkel. Begin with pages 45 - 48 (Basic Litter Box Training).

The book also covers toilet training, if you want to take it that far, but start with the basics.

Good luck!

Cats will stop using their boxes for two main reasons. One is a health issue and the other is stress. If your kitty doesn't like where her box is, say it's in a highly trafficked area, she won't use it. Some cats just need their privacy. There may also not be enough litter in her box. Some cats like to, as we say, do "Zen gardening" when they go and need lots of litter. Also, when she goes outside her box, you need to clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution (Pet stores) Deodorizer sits on the surface of the carpet or floor and evaporates quickly. Your kitty can still smell where she went and will return to that place to go again. My first call would be to my vet to make sure she doesn't have an infection, possibly from the spay (it doesn't happen often, but it happens) or a urinary tract infection that made it painful or uncomfortable for her to use the box.

DorothyAnne

you may try 2 litter boxes, one to pee in and one to poop...also try different litters, some cats don't like the feel of certain litters..."yesterdays news" a litter made from recycled newspaper is a good start, be patient and good luck

DorothyAnne answered on 2/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer