Why is my 12 year old female cat peeing on clothes in the laundry room yet her litter is 5ft from the washer/dryer?

SHE HAS A 13 YEAR OLD BROTHER (FROM ANOTHER MOTHER) AND A HISTORY OF BLADDER INFECTIONS. I CHANGED THEIR FOOD BECAUSE THE VET SUGGESTED WET FOOD (SO NOW THEY HAVE BOTH DRY AND WET FOOD). THEY LOVE THE WET FOOD AND IT SEEMS TO HAVE HELPED HER WITH HER BLADDER INFECTIONS (SHE HASNT HAD ONE SINCE CHANGING FOODS). THEY HAVE 2 LITERS AND I KEEP THEM CLEAN AND GIVE THEM FRESH LITER ONCE A MONTH. WHY IS SHE DOING THIS?

Asked by Member 1026122 on Mar 9th 2011 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

take her to a vet if your kitty checks out healthy u can try changing her litter more often. as most cats dont like dirty litterboxes. also she may not like her litter box near the washer/dryer so try moving to a new loaction.

It's hard to figure out why cats sometimes feel the need not to use their litter boxes. Nellie's advice to have her urine tested is excellent, especially if she has a history of uti's. That's probably the main reason why they don't use the box. It hurts when they go in there and they think it's the box that's causing it. It's almost impossible to tell if they have a UTI and even if they do exhibit symptoms (like straining, peeing outside the box, etc.) the vet should check to make sure they are on the right antibiotic. While you're there, you can have her general health checked as well. She's old enough to start exhibiting signs of dementia (just like elderly humans can)and there are meds for that. It can be a learned behavior, however. When Delilah "goes" in my bathtub, I put a few inches of water in there. I don't try to stop her because that's darn near impossible. If that's the only place your cat pees, don't leave clothes or rugs on the floor. Sometimes that's the only way!