Krystal

Why has my cat lost weight

Hi im really hoping someone can help me. I have a 3 year old cat who is losing weight. About 7 months ago we noticed she was throwing up her food after she ate it. This would not happen everytime but maybe once or twice a week. We took her to the vet and they told us maybe she was eating too quickly and thats why she was throwing up. They then also said it was okay to put her on senior cat food..which i honestly thought was not a good idea since she is only 3. We put her on it and she continued to throw up the food. Today we took her to the vet and they told us she lost a little over a pound of weight since she had last been there which was about 7 months ago. She now weighs 6 pounds and you can see, shes very thin. The vet didnt want to run any bloodwork since she had done the last time she was there and simply recommended she try a new food to see if its food allergies that are causing all of this. I am worried that while we are ruling out allergies, something physically can be wrong

Asked by Krystal on Jan 7th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Nika

Did they check her thyroid??

Nika answered on 1/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I understand how you feel. If there is an issue with your cat's digestive system, I don't think it would show up in a blood test. And if there are digestive issues, changing diet won't help much either. Ask if you could be referred by the vet to a specialty clinic staffed by vets who specialize in single areas like oncology, gastroenterology, etc. They have equipment there, like ultrasound, that they could use to find out if there is a reason for your cat's distress. Your own vet might be able to tell from an x-ray, too. Good luck and please keep us updated!

Joey

Okay this is going to sound crazy - what kind of litter do you use? I know of several kitties that developed digestive issues as a result of using clay based clumping litters. The theory is - clay clumping litters create dust that is deposited on the cat's fur - and when the cat grooms they ingest this miniscule amount and that shouldn't be a problem. However, over time that miniscule amount can coat the GI tract causing weight loss, malnutrition, obstructions, etc. Sometimes discontinuation of the clay based clumping litter can resolve the GI issue on its own. Izzie gives great advice as always, I would start with a vet that specializes in the GI tract - and in the meantime switch litters. Please let us know how it works out!

Joey answered on 1/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The other posters have good advice, but I would suggest finding a new vet. First, a 3-year old cat is not considered a "senior" and should not be eating food for a senior. All cats need food which is age appropriate and also right for their particular health, medical conditions, etc. Second, 6 pounds is not a normal weight for a 3-year old cat. Finally, blood work should be done again to compare it with the labs performed seven months ago. Maybe then a diagnosis could be made. There is also the possibility of some type of blockage going on which is making her vomit. I'm not a vet, but I am a nurse (for humans) and I really think your vet is not taking an aggressive approach in making a diagnosis. Once a diagnosis is made, then proper treatment can be started. I hope kitty is feeling better soon and you get some answers. Best of luck to all.