Why doesn't my new female kitten pee in the litter box by herself?

Asked by Member 802697 on Feb 9th 2009 in CatsterPlus

Answers

How old is she? How was she found/raised? Usually it's said that the Momcat teaches the kittens to use the litter box, but if you have rescued a feral cat, you might have to take Momcat's role. Kittens have very fast digestive systems, so putting her in the box after she's eaten, and digging her little paws in the kitty litter, will usually get the message across. If she's less than a month old, though, Momcat would be licking her little behind to stimulate urination and defecation. You might have to take that role yourself with a moist cloth or something similar. I'm not an expert at parenting orphan kittens--let other Catsters guide you--but I can say that in my own experience with my first litter of kittens, with a very much present and attentive mother, the mother was NOT good about teaching her kittens the fine art of the litter box. I solved the problem by caging them (playpen style kitten cage) with a litter box. FINALLY, they all got the point.