Epee

Why doesn't my cat like his scratching pad (door hanger), and why doesn't he seem to go crazy for catnip?

Asked by Epee on Sep 24th 2008 in Toys

Best Answer

Simba

Most cats like to have scratching posts that are sturdy and won't move or tip over so they can get a good scratch and stretch on them. I have yet to meet a cat that likes the ones that hang, unless they are used as a play toy. As far as catnip, some cats are "immune" to it and it doesn't phase them. Some cats are euphoric with it and others get aggressive. Make sure not to use cat nip in kittens under 6 months of age. Research has shown that their brains are still developing and it could interfere with that.

Simba answered on Sep 25th.

Answers

my cat did not like his door hanger scatching pad either (I gave it away). He prefers a large flat scratching surface. I tried one that has extended legs, but it moves too much when he latches on. He LOVES the heavy flat coir mat on the inside of the garage door . Only problem is I have to let him in & out to scratch. Can't help with the catnip - mine loves it!

My cats didn't like the door hanger either. They also liked a solid surface scratcher, their favorite being a slant board, corrugated cardboard scratcher. The boards are replaceable. Izzie loves catnip but Delilah couldn't care less about it. This summer I grew my own catnip (available online or at garden centers during the summer.) and dried it myself.

Philbert

all cats are different! My Phil does care for catnip but Squeekie seeks it out and goes completely bonkers when she finds one of his catnip toys!

With the scratcher, He also didnt like the door hanger one i got him, he like the carboard ones that lie at an angle. He doesn't seem to like any scratchers to wiggle or moves and perfers them really solid so he can really get at them. Maybe your kitty is the same way?

Philbert answered on 9/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer