Madison Jewels (RIP)

Why doesn't my cat do that thing where they rub againist your legs?

My cat loves me and stuff and I'm her favorite. She spends a lot of time with me but she never does that.

Asked by Madison Jewels (RIP) on Aug 23rd 2008 Tagged legs, rub, madison, cat in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Boris

Some cats just don't do certain cat like things. I don't sit on laps, but I bet you do, right? As for a reason, it's possible that she is afraid that her paws will be stepped on. But she might also not be into that method.

Cats rub against legs to scent mark. But that's only one way to do that. Another way is to reach out to you while you are cuddling with us, and lick you. My sisfur Gracie marks mommy that way (and of course I have to lick mom too to make sure people know she's not just Gracie's human, she's also mine!).

As long as your cat is loving in other ways, it doesn't really matter that much. Trust me on this.

Boris answered on 8/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

It could be because Madison is your only cat. When they rub around your legs they are marking you with their scent and tagging you as theirs. Since there are no other cats around around she doesn't need to tag you.

I have 4 cats and none of them do that rubbing against the leg thing. They scent mark me in other ways, such as rubbing the side of their mouth on my extended finger. Cats are all different, and it's nothing to worry about. My childhood cat just LOVED to do the leg-rubbing thing, especially at feeding time, and on several occasions came close to tripping my mother, so you may be lucky that you don't have a cat that wants to entwine itself around your legs.