Why does my new 7 mos old cat bite and scratch me while I'm on my bed? How do I get him to stop--he thinks it's a game!

My cat only does this at night. I guess it didn't help that once we were playing "peek-a-boo" and I used the covers to play. I have a studio, so I can't really kitten proof my bed. And he has adequate toys to play with; I smother him when I'm home so he get enough love. He sleeps with me in the bed at night. But in the middle of the ight...he'll start to play this "game" and it really freaks me out because it hurts!

Asked by Member 1073214 on Nov 26th 2011 in Scratching

Answers

Your cat is probably hunting "bed mice", things that move under the covers at night. If you played "hand under the covers" with him at any point, you sent the message that it was OK for him to claw and bite and things that move under the blankets, including and especially your hands and/or feet. Having said that, Izzie is over 3 yrs. old and does this on his own. I NEVER played with him w/my hands the little stinker just does this by himself. Since your baby is still young, you must train him that scratching you is not acceptable behavior. That doesn't mean hitting or screeching at him. When he gets carried away noshing on you, shake a soda can w/ a few pennies taped inside at him and firmly tell him "NO BITE!" He's not doing this because he feels unloved or ignored. He's doing it because he thinks he can!

Max

cats are nocturnal hes playing hes still a kitten don't worry
he will grow out of it. in cat years he's a teenager. it's his job to find and then push all of your buttons. keep your sense of humor. at least he won't ask you to borrow the car.lol

Max answered on 2/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer