Why does my female cat tail get fluffy when i rub her

Asked by Member 1040201 on Jul 8th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Toby

Cats fluff their tails for many reasons. In this case it could be her "feel good" gesture. My female kitty lifts her whole rear end off the bed and fluffs the bottom of her tail!

There could be many reasons for your kitty doing this so try and figure the context by paying attention to her body language, specifically her ears.

What does she do with her ears? Are they happy ears or are they laid down or turned back as if she is scared or angry?

Is this a cat you've had for a while? Maybe she has an "owie" spot and fluffs her tail in response. See if you can pinpoint a location by watching her reactions to being rubbed in different places. She may need to visit a vet.

Does she seem distressed when you pet her? Maybe if she is a rescue or a new adoption she is not used to being petted yet and the fluffing is a wary response.

Sometimes kitties are quirky so pay close attention! If this seems too abnormal, a checkup is a good idea.

Good luck and I hope it's a "feel good." fluff!

Toby answered on 7/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer